Severum Eggs, Help Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

paulbr1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, some advice needed please.

My Severums have been getting jiggy with it and mum has today been laying eggs, problem is dad is following her around vacuuming them up.

I have put my floating fry tank in and managed to collect probably 100 of them safely.

Question is will they be fertilised as I'm not sure if they are fert'd before or after them being layed.

Any ideas or am I wasting my time?

Paul.

Best would have been to leave them with the parents, as cichlids can be great parents, they just take a few time to get it right. :good:
I would doubt the eggs are fertile, if the male has been eating them. Now the eggs are away from the parents, make sure there is a good flow of oxygenated water flowing over them, or else they will fungus up and kill all the eggs.

Good luck :good: :santa:

Next time, just leave them too it. :good:

Best would have been to leave them with the parents, as cichlids can be great parents, they just take a few time to get it right. :good:
I would doubt the eggs are fertile, if the male has been eating them. Now the eggs are away from the parents, make sure there is a good flow of oxygenated water flowing over them, or else they will fungus up and kill all the eggs.

Good luck :good: :santa:

Next time, just leave them too it. :good:

Totally agree with 'westwood'- it usually takes cichlid pairs a few times to have success. But with the current eggs, as already said just keep them near a good oxygen flow to prevent them getting attacked by fungi.

Hi, thanks for the info. if I had left them dad would have eaten them as he did all of them I didn't get before and after.

The ones I caught are in a floating vented fry tank and I have 9x flow per hour so they should be ok if fertile, will update.

Paul.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back