Severum Behaviour.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Se7en

Reaction score
Nothing serious, just simple curiosity. For that reason I imagine this post will probably just go unnoticed, I don't mind that.

I hear a lot of stories about fish displaying ''personality'' and would just like a little clarification as to what this actually means, particularly so in the case of my Severum (I'm not sure which genus, but I can upload a picture or two at a later date.) he's the jolly green giant of my tank and it seems to me, if fish were to display personality, this guy (maybe gal) has it. 

My curiosity began when I noticed, whenever I approached the tank he (for the sake of this post I'll continue to refer to it as a male for simplicities sake) would swim to the glass as if to greet me. He'd then proceed to follow my finger along the glass, not trying to nip as I've seen with many other chichlid types, particularly when breeding, no, I'd say it's more like he's playing.

I say this, because my housemate (also the guy who actually owns the tank) and I were sat watching him roam the tank one day, and i noticed that he'd follow my movements, but not the movements of the fellow whom generally feeds him. Testing this theory, I moved away, only for the Severum to lose interest and also drift off, only returning once I too came back.

He's currently living in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (scale could be slightly off, numbers are not my forte in all honesty) and is quite happy to roam and explore, being approximately 5'' himself, he's amongst the biggest fish in the tank and it's not so easy to find appropriate hiding spots for him, not that he seems to harbor any interest in hiding. Much prefering to roam openly. And the only unusual thing I've noted is how he ''seems'' to prefere my company over my housemate or his kids.

As mentioned earlier, I currently don't have any pictures, or idea of which genus of Severum he is, only that the LFS which he was purchased from labeled him as ''Severum'' simple enough, he's the only severum in the tank so I call him Sev for convenience. And I'll be happy to take a picture for the community if anyone feels up to the challenge of identifying / sexing ''him'' for me.
smile.png

But what I really wanted to know, is that normal behavior for a Severum, of any genus? I've seen similar behavior from Oscars, in that they seem to recognize and discriminate against certain individuals, usually prefering whomever they recognize as the feeder. I usually don't feed this tank, as I have a yellow lab tank and a discus tank set up elsewhere. So I find it slightly strange but amusing that he seems to maintain such a high level of interest when I approach. (also due to the location of the tank in the living room, i've managed to catch him watching me watch TV and the likes from the corner of the tank) 

I appreciate that without knowing the sex OR the genus itself of Sev, that this question probably cant be answered, but I fully intend to upload a picture or two at a later date and would appreciate any information regarding the behavioural aspects of Severums, and any similar experiences anyone else may have had with these lovely fish. 

Thanks for reading and hopefully taking the time to share, 

Se7en

*EDIT* Picture uploaded, my current profile display picture.

i enjoyed reading this :D, i think its generally normal behavior with most cichlids as i have 2 GBRs and they both follow me when im near the tank and not my housemate.

when you say you hear about fish showing personality, i d agree that they do especially cichlids

Cheers for the quick response, glad to know it's normal. 

As mentioned somewhere in that little rant of mine, I also have a tank more or less specifically for yellow labs, with 16 jouveniles and one larger male (I can only assume he's male because we before we moved him into his new home, he was showing all the signs of the male half of a breeding pair, digging a nesting pit, growing more territorial, almost always fighting with the skunk botia we have in that tank, the latter being the main reason we had to move him)

The larger yellow lab frequently does the same, between it's almost spastic bursts of energy it goes through, one minute he's blipping madly around the tank as though chasing ghosts, the next following me or my housemate around the tank. 

So thus far, yeah I've seen it in the labs and I've seen it when I used to keep Oscars, but I never found anything when reading up on the Severum. 

You have my appreciation Sir, much obliged. :)

Se7en

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back