Setting up my 40 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jimbob1223

Reaction score
So I've got a few small tanks at the moment, nothing bigger than 20 gallons though, and I have decided after thinking for a long time that I want to get a 40 gallon and use it as a peaceful(ish) community tank. I just have a few questions regarding the tank equipment and stocking.

1. I have a 24-inch 18-watt single bulb fluorescent light at the moment lighting a couple 10 gallons easily. As lights seem to be pretty overpriced in my area I was thinking of using this for my 40 gallon. would this light be powerful enough to light the tank and grow a few plants?

2. for the 40 I plan to take fish out of two other smaller tanks that I currently have, but I might have a bit of trouble mixing the fish. In one of the tanks, I have a female betta. She is not aggressive to the other tank mates and the other tank mates are not aggressive to her. in fact, she and the female Paradise fish seem to be good friends :). In the other tank of fish I wanted to mix, I have a Male Paradise fish who unlike the female can be a little aggressive to similar looking species. I wanted to put the female Betta in the 40 gal with the male Paradise fish. Would this work? I thought there would be enough territory and structure for them to stay out of each other's way. If It helps with your answer, the female Betta does not have long fins for the Paradise fish to nip.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out :). If you have any experience with similar sized tanks and have any tips or advice, please share them with me. I am excited to get my first largish tank but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first.

The light would probably work. Certainly doesn’t hurt to try it first. I have reservations about putting 2 aggressive natured fish together. However, with lots of plants and some caves, the betta may be fine. Just have a back up plan in case it doesn’t work out. Good luck!

The light would probably work. Certainly doesn’t hurt to try it first. I have reservations about putting 2 aggressive natured fish together. However, with lots of plants and some caves, the betta may be fine. Just have a back up plan in case it doesn’t work out. Good luck!
Cool, thanks for the response. Hopefully, it all works out but as you said, I'll make sure to have a back up plan

Never mix different species of Labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis). this includes Paradise fish.
The Paradise fish will kill the Bettas. I would leave the Bettas in the smaller tank and have the Paradise fish in the bigger tank.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for Labyrinth fishes. It floats on the surface and grows rapidly. It can also be grown in the substrate.

Never mix different species of Labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis). this includes Paradise fish.
The Paradise fish will kill the Bettas. I would leave the Bettas in the smaller tank and have the Paradise fish in the bigger tank.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for Labyrinth fishes. It floats on the surface and grows rapidly. It can also be grown in the substrate.
Ok, I will do some more research before finalising my stocking choices but thanks heaps for the information! I will make sure to look out for some water sprite at my LFS, I am definitely keen to try this plant out in the new tank.

I concur with Colin. The problem then is the Paradise Fish.

This is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. It is best kept as a pair on its own, or with medium-sized fast-swimming barbs and danios in larger tanks. A 40g may seem large to you/us but it is not to this fish.

You may not see the "trouble" now, and that is likely due in part to the fish being together in tanks that are too small for them together. This affects fish. It can make them more aggressive, either now or later, hence the risk here.

Last edited:
I concur with Colin. The problem then is the Paradise Fish.

This is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. It is best kept as a pair on its own, or with medium-sized fast-swimming barbs and danios in larger tanks. A 40g may seem large to you/uys but it is not to this fish.

You may not see the "trouble" now, and that is likely due in part to the fish being together in tanks that are too small for them together. This affects fish. It can make them more aggressive, either now or later, hence the risk here.
I have had my Paradise fish in the 20 gallon for two years now, but I can see he needs a larger tank as he has grown a lot. this is half the reason for me buying the 40 gallon. for his whole life, the male paradise fish was kept with a variety of other small fish. he was raised with White Clouds and since then he has lived in a community tank with smaller fish. I have found that some fish work and some don't work and I have adjusted his tank mates to suit him. he is doing fine with a variety of livebearers and also some cherry barbs but do you think moving him to a 40 gallon with all these fish would make him more aggressive and territorial?

Only the fish itself can effectively answer that question, but verbal communication between fish and humans is difficult ;) so we accept the norm for the species, and I have already tried to help with that. Good luck.

Only the fish itself can effectively answer that question, but verbal communication between fish and humans is difficult ;) so we accept the norm for the species, and I have already tried to help with that. Good luck.
Ha Ha Ok, thanks :). I guess I will just try it out then

As has been said the only way is to try. You have tanks to put them in if it doesn't work. Be carful because I like to do this. I have been told dwarf gourami and Bettas don't mix. But have seen them live very peaceful together. I currently have three female Bettas in a 30 that do well together. That said I did have to remove one because I had 4 and she didn't mix. So just like people they all have different personalities. But be aware. Betta fish will kill another fish during the night. From my experience they are very smart and use that to their advantage. When another fish that may beat them up during the day is less active at night. The Betta can and will at times capitalize on that lol. Just a tip from personal experience. Hope all ends well. Oh and yes like you had been told earlier. Increasing tank size can make a once docile fish more aggressive. Smaller tanks may not have the boundaries needed for them to claim their own space. But bigger tanks will. So make sure you have a lot of wood, plants, rocks what ever you decorate with so they can have natural structure to creat territory with. Kind of like land marks. Please update on how it works out. Their are no limits. Life is all a discovery and pushing the limits of our current common knowledge. So trying things that aren't supposed to work and finding ways to make them work. It is truly what life is all about and what has built mankind I to what it is. So I love it when people push the norm, responsibly I must add. Reckless doesn't help much lol. Again good luck to you and hope to hear good results.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back