Setting Up A Rainbow Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have an empty 48x12x15 tank in my bedroom full of water and with nothing in, Ive been stuck as to what to add and ive been thinking tonight and looking at vods on you tube of rainbowfish. Ive always wanted a rainbw tank with the boesmani and iryan red?s so am now going to go for it. I have a blank canvas to work from so would appreciate some tips
I want to get a darker substrate so that their colours are best shown

I also plan to get about 6 young boesmanis and 6 of the red and probably put one of my plecs in there such as my L128

Would you add anything else and if so what? red tail shark? corys?im really excited about doing this tank I love the setting up of tanks :good:

any tips or pics of peoples rainbow set ups would be very much appreciated

Simon

I would add a pair of smaller Central American cichlids. Or maybe wild swordtails. Or perhaps a pair of Morgunda morgunda... there are to many choices... :hyper:

the mogirnda mogurnda Id thought of loved them when i kept them years ago but not seen them for years

I would go with Bosemani and maybe Praecox... But that's just a personal preferance i guess.

I would also add a group of Sterbai Corydoras as these would deal with a higher temperature better than others may do. I would give the shark a miss though. Again, just personal preferance. :/

Congo Tetras and lots and lots of plants :good:

In my opinion Lake Katubu (Blue Rainbowfish) are the nicest of the commonly available rainbows.

excellent I have 9 mature sterbai in another tank I shall transfer them over when the tank is set up. I love congos when they are fully grown good shout

Cupid+Cichlid+photo.JPG

Keyholes are much my kind of fish. If you're planning on plants then Rainbow Cichlids would not be the best option. :good:

Cupid+Cichlid+photo.JPG

Keyholes are much my kind of fish. If you're planning on plants then Rainbow Cichlids would not be the best option. :good:

keyholes are gorgeous fish not kept them for about 10 years used to have a lovely pair yrs back. Are they the cupids then?

I wasnt sure what he meant by rainbow cichlids just know the latin names :nod:

Yeah, they're Cupids. Biotodoma Cupido.

Rainbows are Herotilapia Multispinosa.

That better? :lol:

That picture looks a lot like a Bolivian Ram, microgeophagus altispinosa.

When I think of Rainbow/herotilapia multispinosa, I think of this:
Rainbow3.jpg

eta - Never mind :p I see that picture above is of a Cupid, not a Rainbow. Wow, still looks a lot like the Bolivians!! I need more coffee.

That picture looks a lot like a Bolivian Ram, microgeophagus altispinosa.

When I think of Rainbow/herotilapia multispinosa, I think of this:
Rainbow3.jpg

eta - Never mind :p I see that picture above is of a Cupid, not a Rainbow. Wow, still looks a lot like the Bolivians!! I need more coffee.

I wish they were the same price as bolivians... :rolleyes:

I would love to be in your position! Stick with 2, maybe 3 species. Up the number to 8 each. The red ones get quite big as I understand compare to the boesemani. Maybe 8 praecox? Personally I would add zebra loaches rather than corys as the bottom feeder, or maybe amano shrimp as well, just to keep everything Asian. I'm not bias, honest!

Adrian

If these Rainbowfish are going to stay in the 48x12x15 long term, I would rule out any species that gets bigger than the ~7cm Celebes. The likes of hobby sized (as opposed to wild specimen) ~10cm Bosemani; ~10cm Madagascan; ~10cm Katubu; ~12cm Reds etc. are all far too active to be contained in a narrow and not that deep 4-footer, especially when you consider them in social 6+ species groups.

I would stick to Pseudomugil (the various "Forktails"); Threadfin; Dwarf Neon; Celebes and alike. Besides being physically smaller, enabling you to stock bigger groups, these species are far more sedate. ~15 upper dwelling P. furcata with a similar sized group of middling M. praecox would make a great contrast.

For the bottom, how about a couple of pairs of Empire Gudgeon, for a safer biotope-like setup compared to the predatory Northern/Soutern Purple Spotted Gudgeon?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back