setting up a new tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

casseedy

Reaction score
hello! i just got a 90-100 gallon fish tank (picked it up for free and the previous owner wasnā€™t sure of the gallons, havenā€™t done the exact measurements yet) and i was trying to decide the best fish to stock it with! i love the idea of cichlids but iā€™ve never had them before, so they kinda worry me. i love angelfish and gouramis. i also hope to have some big schools of tetras. what do you guys recommend for stocking? do you have any recommendations for filters? all help would be appreciated. i am pretty experience in fish keeping, i have several tanks, but canā€™t seem to figure out what i want to do with this tank. thank you, have a nice day :)

hello! i just got a 90-100 gallon fish tank (picked it up for free and the previous owner wasnā€™t sure of the gallons, havenā€™t done the exact measurements yet) and i was trying to decide the best fish to stock it with! i love the idea of cichlids but iā€™ve never had them before, so they kinda worry me. i love angelfish and gouramis. i also hope to have some big schools of tetras. what do you guys recommend for stocking? do you have any recommendations for filters? all help would be appreciated. i am pretty experience in fish keeping, i have several tanks, but canā€™t seem to figure out what i want to do with this tank. thank you, have a nice day :)

Well what is your tap water hardness? You can find this out usually on the companies website

Hi welcome to the forum :) Just remember that Angelfish are Cichlids so need to be considered in the mix :)

As above make sure you know your water hardness before making too many decisions. Very hard = Rift Lake Africans, hard to neutral = Central Americans and soft = South Americans :)

Wills

Well what is your tap water hardness? You can find this out usually on the companies website
when i test it itā€™s 60-100 ppm. all my fish are fine with it, should i do anything to try and change it?

Last edited:
60 to 100 ppm is soft not semi hard. The range converts to 3.4 to 5.6 dH. It would need to be over 180 ppm/10 dH to be semi hard.

60 to 100 ppm is soft not semi hard. The range converts to 3.4 to 5.6 dH. It would need to be over 180 ppm/10 dH to be semi hard.
oh awesome, thank you! iā€™m not as knowledgeable with all the water hardness levels.

when i test it itā€™s 60-100 ppm. all my fish are fine with it, should i do anything to try and change it?

Yeah just suits some American cichlids, not entirely sure which ones, my expertise (if you can remotely call it that) lies in rift lake cichlids which need hard water

That hardness will suit just about all tetras and gouramis and cichlids from south America - and some of the river cichlids from Africa such as kribs. Avoid central American cichlids which need middling to hard water and Rift Lake cichlids which need very hard water.

That hardness will suit just about all tetras and gouramis and cichlids from south America - and some of the river cichlids from Africa such as kribs. Avoid central American cichlids which need middling to hard water and Rift Lake cichlids which need very hard water.
thank you guys so much!!!

Most reactions

Back