setting up a new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

s420merc

Reaction score
i have and establised 55 gallon tank running for 4 years. Setting up a new 55 gallon i added the new filter to my alredy esatblished 55 gallon how long to i keep new filter in old tank before i transfer it to new tank i am also runing the old filter too

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you set up the new tank with new water and let it run for a few days, you can take half the old filter media/ material and put it in the new filter. Then put that on the new tank for an instant cycled tank. Add fish 24 hours later and you're good to go.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you set up the new tank with new water and let it run for a few days, you can take half the old filter media/ material and put it in the new filter. Then put that on the new tank for an instant cycled tank. Add fish 24 hours later and you're good to go.
How long do i keep new media in old tank to get it good for new tank i dont want to crash my old tank with new midia

Last edited:
How long do I keep new media in old tank to get it good for new tank I don't want to crash my old tank with new media
About 2 months. Hence the reason I suggest putting half the old media into the new filter and just get the new tank going.

Will taking media out of my old tank crash it
If you only remove half the old filter media, the remaining bacteria will repopulate within 24 hours and it's very unlikely the filter will crash.

If you only remove half the old filter media, the remaining bacteria will repopulate within 24 hours and it's very unlikely the filter will crash.
So just swich out half the bagged stuff

If the established filter has a sponge and bag of ceramic rings, either swap the bag of ceramic rings or swap the sponge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back