FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Smelliot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,
Ā 
I'm planning on setting up a cory tank in a Juwel Rio 240 it's 240 litres that's roughly 66 or so gallons for you Americans.
I was thinking about going with black pool filter sand for the substrate. I'm curious to find out other peoplesĀ opinionsĀ on the best species to get and how many I should get. Ā I was also thinking about getting a Featherfin catfish as well.Ā 
Ā 
Also, what are people's opinnions on what type of tetras I should get to school. I'm not sure either I was heading towards a school of Neon Tetras, Zebra Dainos or Rummynose Tetras.
Ā 
Lastly, (this is aimed at people experienced with plants), what type of plants should I get? I currently have a lot of drift wood that I can add to the aquascape with and attach plants to I'm just unsure what plants are good and hardy. What type of nutrients I'd need to supply and how I'd go about this, ideally in the most simplistic way.
Ā 
Thanks,
Ā 
Smelliot.

Hey, Corys are fine with sand substrate being it's a very small grain size. They'll filter it through there gills so the larger the grain size the more issues they get.
Ā 
I would get emperor tetras, These guys are big and very colourful. I love my emperor tetras and there more suited for big tanks, Such as the one you have.
Ā 
It depends on your lighting but at a bash I'll say low lighting. Java fern and anubias both need to be stuck on driftwood and both are insanely easy plants to keep/grow so I'd look into these. You could also try crypts too, Tons of different types for offer in that section.
Ā 
As for ferts, Depends what route you want to go down.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/neutro-t-large-p-6379.html
That's what I use, Although it looks pricey it's very easy to use and lasts a while too.

+1 on the emperor tetras.
As for cories, you could go with a couple of shoals. I would go with the lighter colors. Pandas, skunk, bandit, et cetera. And albinos really pop on a black substrate.
+1 on the plants too.

First, I have to say that cories are probably my favorite fish species. I have always had the albinos, which I love. Currently I don have anymore, but when I begin stocking my large tank, I'll have a school of albinos on black sand. Pandas would probably look lovely on black sand too.

Second, it is my experience that the albinos sometimes have issues seeing, plus they are sensitive to light. If you do get these, they'll definitely need some plant coverage or low light or at least a few caves. Six is always a good solid number of cories.

As far as other species, I'm a huge fan of cherry barbs. I didn't think I would love them so much, but they are superb fish. They are smaller, hardy schooling fish which makes them fun to watch. They can withstand a broad range of pH too. Long-finned zebra danios are beautiful, too. I've never kept them though. I like black skirt tetras too.

With a tank that size, you could get a couple of shoals going, maybe pandas and albinos, maybe 10 each. That would be striking on black sand. I have longfin black skirt tetras in my 55g along with all my cory, but I think those might disappear a bit with all the dark surroundings.Ā 
Ā 
When nature eventually thins out the community fish I have in that tank, I'm hoping to get about 75 of the smaller tetras, either black neons or some other tiny fish. I can't wait to see them all schooling in there!
Ā 
And techen is spot on about the plants.Ā 
Ā 
We will expect photos once you get this set up.Ā 
biggrin.png

I guess it all depends on how many you want and what sort of price your willing to pay.... you have your basic ones like albino, bronze, peppered, trili's etc at a reasonable priceĀ but then you have the more expensive like sterbai, melini, adolfoi, duplicarous, arcuatus, blacks, lasersĀ etc etc... but obviously a larger group (which is what would look good in such a big tank)...is going to cost alot more money. One of my personal favs will always be sterbai, there gold shimmer is second to none and they look superb in large groups
wink.png
Ā 
I cant really comment on a mid/top level fish to suit, i usually keep species only tanks but.... i do like cardinals, they get bigger than neons and have a more distinct look, a nice large group of these will fit well with any group of corys
smile.png
Ā 
Plants as most above have mentioned, anubias, java ferns...most mosses, hygrophilia species and crypts are all usually very easy to keep low maintenance plants. None really require ferts in a low light well stocked tank but the addition of an all in one fert once a week will certainly help to keep them healthy
smile.png

I Personally like the "Striped" Corys.Ā  Loxozonus, Schwaltzi, Axelrodi etc.Ā Ā  Not too expensive.
You could get the "New Panda's" that I saw in my LFS, but at Ā£22 EACH I had to pass myself..

Thanks for everyone'sĀ opinions, I'm still open to more ideas! I want to do a lot more planning before I commit to anything as to rushing into my last tank notĀ greatest successĀ aestheticsĀ wise.
Ā 
Currently thinking 10 albinos, 10 pandas, 1 featherfin and I'm still deciding on a fish for a shoal leaning towards cardinal's.
Ā 
Definitely going with Techen's plant ideas as well, I have a lot of drift wood that I can attach Java fern and anubias to.

Hey, Corys are fine with sand substrate being it's a very small grain size. They'll filter it through there gills so the larger the grain size the more issues they get.
Ā 
They don't necessarily need very fine sand. Mine can expel 1mm sand grains and long blood worms through their gills :)
I am not certain what issues that would cause but I haven't encountered any yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back