FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goosegrl2019

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How long should it take to cycle & do the products out there to speed this process up work??

In my tank took about 2 weeks in a 55 gallon set to 78 degrees using five 3” feeder goldfish using Seachem stability and prime. However this is a fish in type cycle with notoriously messy fish. YMMV but I think a common time is 2-6 weeks depending on many factors. If doing a fish in cycle, use a very light stock of hardy fish and monitor water. using prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites to fish, however leaves it in tank for your bacteria to utilize to grow. If you are new to the hobby lookup Seachem stability and prime. Much better than API water conditioners and bacteria additives in my experience. I prefer Seachem and their customer service is really nice and answered plenty of my stupid questions

Last edited:
The two most highly rated bacterial supplements are Dr Tims One & Only and Tetra Safe Start.

I did a fishless cycle without anything just to see what it was like - it took 7 weeks. But I did have other tanks to keep me occupied while this one cycled. (Yes, I could have used mature media but I wanted to experience a fishless cycle for myself)

Fishless cycles are better than fish-in as no fish can get harmed if something goes wrong.

Do the fishless cycle with ammonia (ammonia with NO detergents) Instructions are on this website under the Cycling category. It takes 4-6 weeks. Now if you already have a well cycled stable tank you can borrow some media and substrate from it and add it to your new tank. Your tank will either be nearly instantly cycled or will take minimum cycling time. Prime removes chlorine and converts toxic ammonia to ammonium but will still read as ammonia on an API test kit, so purchase another test kit specifically for ammonia so you can see how much ammonia in your tank is "free ammonia" versus how much has been converted to harmless Ammonium. Until your tank bacteria convert your ammonium to nitrites then you'll be stuck with abnormally high readings on any test of ammonia. You have to use Prime every 48 hours or the ammonium will convert back to ammonia. (not important during cycling but very important to know once you have fish in your tank.

Prime should not be dosed to the tank just to convert ammonia. It should only be used at a water change. When there is ammonia in a tank with fish, water changes must be done to get the ammonia down, and Prime can be used to detoxify the ammonia that builds up again until the next water change.

Once the cycle is finished, unless your water provider disinfects the water supply with chloramine instead of chlorine, you then don't need a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia.

In my tank took about 2 weeks in a 55 gallon set to 78 degrees using five 3” feeder goldfish using Seachem stability and prime. However this is a fish in type cycle with notoriously messy fish. YMMV but I think a common time is 2-6 weeks depending on many factors. If doing a fish in cycle, use a very light stock of hardy fish and monitor water. using prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites to fish, however leaves it in tank for your bacteria to utilize to grow. If you are new to the hobby lookup Seachem stability and prime. Much better than API water conditioners and bacteria additives in my experience. I prefer Seachem and their customer service is really nice and answered plenty of my stupid questions
Thanks!!! Metalhead88 schooled me on the api stress coat as well & I switched to prime. I'm not doin feeder fish but I did drop some food in to start bacteria. I had an ich outbreak in my old tank & had to start over w new filters, gravel ect. So I'm starting as new :)

Prime should not be dosed to the tank just to convert ammonia. It should only be used at a water change. When there is ammonia in a tank with fish, water changes must be done to get the ammonia down, and Prime can be used to detoxify the ammonia that builds up again until the next water change.

Once the cycle is finished, unless your water provider disinfects the water supply with chloramine instead of chlorine, you then don't need a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia.
Have u used any bacteria in a bottle, if so what kind??

Ever heard of dropping a piece of raw shrimp to start bacteria?? Something I saw on youtube... just wondering, this seems simple to jump start

The two most highly rated bacterial supplements are Dr Tims One & Only and Tetra Safe Start.

I did a fishless cycle without anything just to see what it was like - it took 7 weeks. But I did have other tanks to keep me occupied while this one cycled. (Yes, I could have used mature media but I wanted to experience a fishless cycle for myself)

Fishless cycles are better than fish-in as no fish can get harmed if something goes wrong.
I agree completely:)

The problem with Prime is they Seachem won't say what's in it. It may well also contain aloe vera for all we know. The bottle says it "provides slime coat"

Raw shrimp is just a source of ammonia not bacteria. As it decomposes it releases ammonia. Some people use this instead of a bottle of ammonia for fishless cycling. It is easier, and less smelly and messy to use ammonia from a bottle. Easier because you can control the exact amount of ammonia added to the tank.

Thank u!!! I will get one of those bacteria in s bottle too!! I saw a guy on YouTube drop a raw shrimp in & take it out a few days later to jump start, will this work??

The problem with Prime is they Seachem won't say what's in it. It may well also contain aloe vera for all we know. The bottle says it "provides slime coat"

Raw shrimp is just a source of ammonia not bacteria. As it decomposes it releases ammonia. Some people use this instead of a bottle of ammonia for fishless cycling. It is easier, and less smelly and messy to use ammonia from a bottle. Easier because you can control the exact amount of ammonia added to the tank.
I'm sooo scared to use ammonia tho

That makes sense tho

The easiest way to use raw shrimp is to put some in a container of water and wait for them to decompose. Then use the water as the source of ammonia to add to the tank. It means you don't end up with bits of decomposing shrimp all over the tank, and the container can be cleaned up so much more easily. It would mean starting a second container before the first one had gone completely horrible so you'd have a continuous supply of ammonia water. Then a third, and so on till the cycle was finished.
The shrimp water could be allowed to get pretty high in ammonia as you'll dilute it a lot when it's added to the tank. You'd just need to test the tank after half an hour to see how near to 3 ppm, or later 1 ppm, you'd added, then add more if necessary.

If it was me though, I'd use a bottle of ammonia, it's so much easier. Provided you keep the top on when not dosing it and keep it away from any children, it is quite safe.

The easiest way to use raw shrimp is to put some in a container of water and wait for them to decompose. Then use the water as the source of ammonia to add to the tank. It means you don't end up with bits of decomposing shrimp all over the tank, and the container can be cleaned up so much more easily. It would mean starting a second container before the first one had gone completely horrible so you'd have a continuous supply of ammonia water. Then a third, and so on till the cycle was finished.
The shrimp water could be allowed to get pretty high in ammonia as you'll dilute it a lot when it's added to the tank. You'd just need to test the tank after half an hour to see how near to 3 ppm, or later 1 ppm, you'd added, then add more if necessary.

If it was me though, I'd use a bottle of ammonia, it's so much easier. Provided you keep the top on when not dosing it and keep it away from any children, it is quite safe.
Well thank u, I love this advice!! I'm goin to do ur shrimp method, love that I can use the water that's amazing!! I'm sure the ammonia is easier & less smelly but I would rather do this naturally if that makes any sense. I really appreciate ur input :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back