Setting Up A Nano

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I have an empty 10g sitting around, and you know how that is! Can't let that happen.....
So, I'm thinking of trying a small sw tank. My 29g has been running great for about a year, so I think I'm ready for it.
Here's what I'm looking at stocking with:

yellow watchman goby (or rainfordii if yw not available)
a shrimp or 2 (2 if peppermint, only 1 if cleaner or pistol)
possibly a porcelain or emerald crab
would like one or 2 other fish -- was thinking a clown and maybe a firefish if that wouldn't be too much.

The 10g is rectangular shape as opposed to a square, if that matters.

I'll fill it with mixed water and and then add some substrate and 3-4 pieces of LR from my original tank and add the fish together immediately both to keep it cycled and so there won't be too much in the way of disputes. The filter is a HOB rated for a 30g, so I think the water movement should be enough. The lights are 2 florescent bulbs, so I'll get good algae growth, I'm sure! : (

How does all this sound?

Sounds good to me.

Only, I would get two cleaner, too. They are sociable like peppermint shrimps.

And, do you have that much live rock in your bigger tank that it doesn't matter to something out?

Three fish goes to the upper limit but is still ok, IMHO.

I'm pretty sure the lr would be fine, but just in case I plan on using some Phos-x and keeping a close eye on the water stats (on both tanks, actually).
I think I may go with the YW goby, a Royal Gramma and maybe one other small fish - one that uses the water column more-so than the other two.
I'll be sure to get 2 shrimp, too.
Do you think I should add a bubble wand thing to make sure the water is moving enough?
Thanks for the help!

Sounds good to me. I'd avoid the rainsford's goby as they are very difficult to get to feed :)

I've decided on the Y Watchman Goby, a Royal Gamma and I think a firefish, unless there is some other more suitable fish?
I've decided to use another old HOB filter (rated for a 10) for more water movement, plus I'll drop some rubble in the back for more bacterial surface. The 2 filters will be situated side by side, with the intake tubes at different levels. I think that should take care of the movement I'll need.
Thx guys!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back