Set up new CO2 system today

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got a Nutrafin CO2 system from my LFS a couple weeks ago cause I got a gift card to the store and I want to do a comparison of a store bought system and DIY system. I put the diffuser in the tank put the sugar, activator, something else I can't remember the name of, and water like the instructions said. It said bubbles will appear in 2-10 hours. Well it's been 12 hours and nothing has happened. Should I open the canister and see if anything is happening or will that mess it up? I tried shaking it a little but didn't want to disrupt anything. Any ideas?
-Josh

Well I just shook it up really good (made sure to keep the contents from going into tank) and it started to bubble and the instructions say it takes about 24-48 hours for the bubbling to really get going. So hopefully that's it.
-Josh

When I first started mine it took about 72 hours with the ingredients it came with. From then on, I did some research on the subject and decided to use my own ingredients which for one is cheaper and two it lasts longer.

If I remember correctly air is a deterant for its activation or process, so keeping the lid on it would be a good idea.

When I do changes to the formula, all I do is empty half the mixed product and add about 5 more tablespoons of sugar, add a pinch of baking soda, add about 1/4 teaspoon of yeast (bought at the local grocery store) and fill with warm water. Put the top back on and it doesnt stop bubbling as some of the active ingredients are still there. OH :crazy: dont get drunk on the fumes! :sick: They can be, how can I put this, :alien: quite intoxicating. :hyper:

I bought the same system some time ago. For some reason, the ingredients didn't work right away. I just opened and re-tightened the lid. This did the trick, I think that the lid was loose.

I do believe that there is benefits to both aerobic and an-aerobic process of fermentation. The "best" way to jump start the process is to allow the yeast to start their re-hydration aerobicly (in open air) and then place them in an an-aerobic (closed) environment.

Now, there is the paradox of fermentation, as I call it. The fact that yeast produce Alcohol and the by-product CO2 is odd because this is the cause of their eventual death. So, in an aerobic situation, yeast can make a viable colony. However, one cannot utilize the alcohol and CO2. This is why we provide an an-aerobic environment to allow the CO2 to be pushed out into the tank, or consolidated into the drinking beverage. But, this means that these chemicals eventually posion the yeast and kill them off.

So, what to do? Waste the products of yeast? Kill them off quickly? Well, you can buy more expensive yeast. There is a yeast strain specifically designed to withstand acohol poisoning to a higher degree. They're used in Wine production. These yeast can last the longest. If they cost too much for you, you can use one of the several strains for Beer fermentation. But the cheapest by far are the baker's yeast.

So, it's all up to you.

How quickly should the bubbles come out. Right now about 2.5 days, there's one ever 5-10 seconds. Is that about right or should it still get faster over time?
-Josh

I must be lucky. I noticed bubbles coming out under 2 hours after I mixed the packs together. I did not use all the buffer package, in fact I probably used less then a 1/4 of the pack. I get bubles about every 5-8 seconds. It's been running 4 weeks and still going strong. Very happy with the results. :nod:

it depends on the temp of the yeast and sugar solution and amount of sugar compared to the alchohol byproduct , on how manyy bubbles a second you will get.
For small tanks this works adequatly for larger tanks you have to get a regulator and tank

Most reactions

trending

Back