Serpae Tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

terrapin123

Reaction score
Hi there I have just started with a 60 litre tank it is now ready for tropical fish,ph is 7,temperature of 25 c,.can I mix Serpae Tetra with other fish.Thank you.

Serpae tetras are extremely nippy. They are very pretty and hardy, but in all likelihood yours will do better kept as a group on their own.

Cheers, Neale

Thank you Monks for replying to my post,,I shall have a rethink on stocking my new 60 litre ,I should have gone on here first before the man in the aquatic center advised me to purchase 5 of these.Now what to do with my Serpae Tetra.

As first fish for a planted aquarium, Serpae Tetras are great. Keep at least 6 specimens because they do tend to nip one another in smaller groups. But in their favour, they have a true 'feeding frenzy' behaviour that makes them very good fun to keep and watch. Stock the tank with shade-tolerant Anubias and Cryptocoryne wendtii and you could create a really pretty small aquarium!

Cheers, Neale

I had 3 Serpae's that attacked everything the moved. Got the number up to 5 and they calmed down a little. They still picked on my gourami and my first ram. The second ram and apisto put them in their place. Overall Serpaes annoy me.

Like Neale said, more numbers generally means less aggression. If you had gone with more than the 5, they probably would have calmed down quite a bit more. I'd never suggest less than 12 of them, just like tiger barbs. Always at least a dozen - tank permitting, of course.

We just got some, 8 of them and they seem very curious, patrolling around, i hope they dont get aggressive :S

I got my Serpae Tetras accidentally, too, due to my bad memory. I thought I'd read they were peaceful! Mine actually aren't too bad. Occasionally one might chase one of my Bleeding Hearts a bit, but never far. They haven't nipped at any fish, but I don't have any slow movers in there, either. If they get obnoxious when I add my Angels, they'll just end up banished to my 10 gallon.

Their "feeding frenzy", like nmonks mentioned, is fun to watch. At dinner time I have to close the cover fast, or I get splashed in the face! That goes for the Bleeding Hearts, too!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back