Serpae Tetra (Red Minor Tetra) Compatibility: Aggressive or Community?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

quinnARIUM

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Has any one kept Serpae Tetras? I was wondering if they would be compatible in a 75 gal with:
-Lemon tetras
-Appisstogramma Agasizzi pair
-Bolivian Rams
-Discus
-Corydoras
I am most worried about the apisstos and the tetras getting all the food before the Discus. The only fish I have in the tank are 10 lemon tetras right now but the Apisstos will move in shortly.

quinnARIUM, to answer your question, no, Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) would not be compatible in this tank. They have a real inherent behavioural issue which being programmed into their DNA is not going to change, though this can sometimes be controlled, but not with "baiting" by keeping it with discus and similar sedate fish. Following citations explain.

Compatibility/Temperament: Sometimes peaceful, but known to be aggressive and a fin nipper. Must be kept in a group, minimum 8 but 12+ is more likely to help curb the fish's aggressive (fin-nipping) tendencies. Should never be kept with slow or long-fin fish (guppies, angels, discus, gourami, betta) but only with active species.
[from my profile published online]

And from Seriously Fish:
H. eques is notorious as an aggressive community inhabitant with a reputation for nipping the fins of tankmates although this behaviour tends to be most pronounced when insufficient numbers are purchased or space is limited. It’s a gregarious species forming loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and positioning within the group. A group of at least 8-10 specimens should be considered the minimum requirement since this increases the likelihood that the fish will be distracted by each other rather than their tankmates but will result in a more effective, natural-looking display. Males will also show better colouration in the presence of conspecific rivals.​
That said it is relatively boisterous and doesn’t make an ideal companion for very shy, slow-moving, or long-finned fishes such as many livebearers, cichlids, and anabantoids [my emphasis].​
Robust fishes inhabiting similar biotopes in nature, especially comparably-sized, open water-dwelling characids perhaps constitute the best choices but other potential options include gasteropelecids, lebiasinids, smaller callichthyid or loricariid catfishes and some small-to-medium-sized cichlids. If geography is not an issue many rainbowfishes and cyprinids are also suitable, but be sure to research your choices thoroughly before purchase.​

I'm sure some other members will relay different experiences; what must be kept in mind is that these are exceptions, not the normal behaviour for this fish. Individual fish may act opposite or different from the norm for the species, or be affected by some genetic issue, stress (which can either increase or decrease normal tendencies), or health.

Getting rid of problem fish--I have twice been there--is not always easy; once I had to sadly euthanize an entire group of 15 Aphyocharax nattereri [formerly A. paraguayensis] because in a 90g tank after three days they had the other 100+ characins hovering in the plants and afraid to come out even to eat, and I had no spare tank available then, and no one (not surprising) including the store wanted them. Do that once and you learn to research the species and not think you can somehow prove science wrong, it takes more than "experience" to change fact.

Wow, really informative post @Bryon ! Sounds like they can be kept in a community setting, but only with other, fast-moving, hardy fish. The lemon tetras are already a little boisterous so I think I will get a more peaceful tetra like rummy-nose instead. Thanks for the help!

Good advice from Byron, IMO, serpaes should be kept in a species-only tank...they're little devils, lol

For a better choice, and one that could work for you, have a look at red phantom tetras...great community fish, and even prettier than the serpae, IMO

There are several good tetras that bear a remarkable similarity to each other (the species) without the problems. Rosy Tetra clade which includes the species [all are red/mauve coloured with black and white accents in fins] Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, H. bentosi, H. sweglesi, H. megalopterus [Black Phantom so no red], H. erythrostigma [Bleeding Heart, larger than the others here]. These are all fairly quiet, the latter are probably the most active and slightly larger so a good fit here. The latter remain mid-level, the others are more mid to lower level; the level in the water column at which a species tends to swim is always something to consider as you want a spread and not everyone jammed into the lower half of the tank. Lemons are fine with any of these, I have had several of these species together.

The Rummynose Tetras are active but not overly so, but they do remain in the lower half. Surface fish are a bit trickier to find, but there are the larger hatchetfish species in the genus Gasteropelecus or the Thorachorax stellatum which is a real beauty, and more active interactions than the other species. Penguin Tetras are upper level, and swim at an angle. Corydoras are good for substrate level.

Re the cichlids mentioned...discus will not suit many of these fish, and temperature is critical here, discus must have above 80F/27C, ideally in the 84-86F/29-30C range. Corydoras for example cannot manage permanently at this high a temp, and many of the others cannot either. Bolivian Rams would work with most of these fish, at their more normal temperatures for tropicals, but a fish that is often best as a solitary male, or a pair but only if they select each other and bond. A male will own the entire tank space, no exceptions.

I've got them as well. But no problems overhere in the community tank. They live together with cardinal tetras, comma swordtails, Rio jalapa swordtails, knife livebearers, dusky millions fish, dwarf rasboras, bronze cories and an armored catfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back