Serpae Tetra Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LewShews

Reaction score
Went to work last night and all 6 of my serpaes were fine and dandy. come home this morning and now two have been beaten up a little. Obviously been nipped on their tail. They all seem pretty chill this morning except one. He is just a total spaz at the moment. When there are no fish around him he LOOKS like he is trying to swim 100 mph but not moving forward, and he seems to be the one trying to nip at any and everything that comes near him. Is there something wrong with this guy, will he calm down? Is he just a big time jerk and need to go? Ideas, or suggestion welcome. THANKS!!!!

I found serpae to be aggressive nippers on the one occasion I kept them, (about 40 years ago). Gave them away after a short while. Have they been in there long? Anything else being bothered?

they have been in there 2 days. it seems just the one is aggressive, the rest seem pretty calm. would it be worth a shot to ask LFS for an exchange on just the one?

Get rid of the dominant, and the next most dominant will rise. This species really needs to be kept in LARGE numbers in LARGE tanks and without any innocents in the way.

With six, you may just have enough to keep the trouble within species, (though I doubt it). The inevitable advice is to expand the group size, but without more info, it is foolish to give.

Most reactions

Back