Serious Illness Been Going On For 6 Months

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks. I just read that article and I have no idea if that's it or not becasue there is such a broad spectrum of symptoms and secondary diseases associated with it.

Do you think I should try treating the tank with this Waterlife Sterazin as recommended by 'Myrtle' first, and then consider TB after if that doesn't work? Also, how did you cure your case of TB? Thanks

Thanks. I just read that article and I have no idea if that's it or not becasue there is such a broad spectrum of symptoms and secondary diseases associated with it.

Do you think I should try treating the tank with this Waterlife Sterazin as recommended by 'Myrtle' first, and then consider TB after if that doesn't work? Also, how did you cure your case of TB? Thanks

Apart from the fish flicking, all of the fishes symptoms suggest an aggressive bacterial disease. But you have treated the tank with anti internal bacterial medication but to no avail (this is what set my alarm bells ringing Fish TB).
When you say the fish have symptoms of Neon Tetra Disease, what symptoms of this disease are the fish showing? Sometimes these two diseases (Fish TB & NTD) can be very similar.

Here is what a dear friend (and probably the best fish disease expert ever on the forum) said to me when we were discussing Fish TB (a long time after my incident with it);

"For fish tb you are best wiping the bacteria out in the filter with antibiotics like tetraycline, kancylin. Spelt kancyclin wrong i'm afraid. Forgotten how to spell it.
Then add vitamin b supplement to there food.
Once the spine bends with the illness you are best destroying the fish.

I had plenty of problems to. The dreaded ntd. it wiped the whole tank out.
Had a lovely shoal of neons till I bougt some more seven months later.
Then disaster struck, ntd."

Personally in my case i ended up euthanising every and any fish which showed the diseases symptoms. It was very hard to do, but it was the only way i could get rid of the disease and i ended up saving more fish in the long term by taking this hardline tactic. The main way the disease spreads is by dead fish (everytime a fish dies from the disease it sends great levels of it into the tank- so it is very important to prevent fish from dying in the tank to help prevent it spreading to more fish).

I would say it will be worth treating the tank with more meds as there are still very much other things that could be causing your fishes deaths. I would advise treating the fish with an anti intenal parasite medication (Waterlife Sterazin Parasite) as the internal parasites can weaken fish to such a degree that they die from other diseases, and the Sterazin will definitely treat the flicking problem (that definitely sounds like a parasite issue).

Its hard to say what the fish have for certain. IMO it sounds like either;
a. The fish have an aggressive internal bacterial disease (like Fish TB) that is weakening them all round as well as a case of gill flukes (the flicking & rubbing). Or
b. The fish have an aggressive case of internal parasites which is weakening them all round, leaving them susceptable to bacterial infections.

Treat the tank with the Sterazin med first- give them a good long treatment, and keep a very close eye on their body weight. If they regain any body weight at all while being treated with the Sterazin, then internal parasites are your fishes problem. If the fish show no sign of improvement though after a long treatment of Sterazin, then i would be more likely to believe the fish had Fish TB or NTD.
I'm sorry i can't offer you more help than this, its a tough one :( .

Thank you very much for the advice. When you mentioned keeping a close eye on their body weight- at the moment- there are curently no fish that I would say are an abnormal body weight (the danio has an odd body shape around the sore). It is just a symptom I have seen in the past- but I will keep an eye on their weight anyway.

I have just finished treating the tank with a course of Tremazol a week ago, which would supposedly cure gill/skin flukes and tapeworm. Shall I buy the Waterlife Sterazin and use that anyway? I have also treated the tank with Interpet No.9 Anit-Internal Bacteria several months ago.

I'm afraid that as much as it may do the tank good in the long run, I would never be able to bring myself round to euthanising a fish. I saw that you mentioned that if they were separated and prevented from dying in the main tank, I might be able to stop that fish from passing on the TB to the other fish. Shall I basically just quarantine any fish that appear to ill?

I haven't had NTD for a few months now, and I still have 3 neon tetras left in my tank. The symptoms were bent spine, patches of colour loss, and separating from the schoal/hiding at the back of the tank amongst plants (from what I can remember).

Thank you again for your advice, do you know of any way I might be able to cure my danio?

Thank you very much for the advice. When you mentioned keeping a close eye on their body weight- at the moment- there are curently no fish that I would say are an abnormal body weight (the danio has an odd body shape around the sore). It is just a symptom I have seen in the past- but I will keep an eye on their weight anyway.

Ah ok then. What are the most current fish symptoms at this very point in time?

I have just finished treating the tank with a course of Tremazol a week ago, which would supposedly cure gill/skin flukes and tapeworm. Shall I buy the Waterlife Sterazin and use that anyway? I have also treated the tank with Interpet No.9 Anit-Internal Bacteria several months ago.

If you've just treated with a gill/skin flukes med i would not bother right now with the sterazin.

I'm afraid that as much as it may do the tank good in the long run, I would never be able to bring myself round to euthanising a fish. I saw that you mentioned that if they were separated and prevented from dying in the main tank, I might be able to stop that fish from passing on the TB to the other fish. Shall I basically just quarantine any fish that appear to ill?

Definitely. A great deal of fish diseases are passed on the most when the sick fish in question dies, so at the very least quarentining sick fish can dramatically help reduce more fish getting infected. If the fish die in the quarentine tank, then at least they won't pass on anything to any healthy fish. Because this is a serious on-going problem, make sure the quarentine tank is a proper tank set up (essentially a mini version of your main tank- make sure you clone some of the beneficial bacteria from your established filter media to the new tanks filter so that you don't have to cycle it etc). I would advise something around 5gallons, nothing fancy, just make sure it has a filter & heater :good: .

If you get the tank cheap (second hand etc), then quarentine tanks can help save you money by cutting down on fish medicine costs (which i'm sure as you know fish meds are very expensive) and potentially save fishes lives too ^_^v .

I haven't had NTD for a few months now, and I still have 3 neon tetras left in my tank. The symptoms were bent spine, patches of colour loss, and separating from the schoal/hiding at the back of the tank amongst plants (from what I can remember).

Thank you again for your advice, do you know of any way I might be able to cure my danio?

Remember that despite the name Neon Tetra Disease does not only affect Neon Tetras. What are the full current symptoms of the danio in question right now?

Thank you. Well unfortunately the danio passed away a few days ago. It was for the best, because I could see she was suffering and she looked dreadful. I will also try and get a quarantine tank set up as soon as possible (I have one in storage with an undergravel filter which doesn't require a filter medium?). Apart from the flicking, which does not appear to be as frequent as it was since I treated the tank with Tremazol and did an 80% water change for it, there are no obvious symptoms at the moment I would say. I have a platy which has been on the 'lethargic' side for several months now, and will tend to sit on the bottom or behind the filter and flick aswell every now and then. As a result, she has a few tiny injuries from regularly finding her behind the filter (tiny bit of skin off and slightly green or white patches over her body sometimes, but I think they are just where she has scratched against the gravel or filter. She is eating fine though, but being bullied by my mollie quite a bit at the moment. I put her in that quarantine tank I set up temporarily a few months ago and she appeared to go down hill rapidly, so I took her back out of it.

Thanks again, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and trying to keep on top of water changes at the moment as I think this will help.

I'm sorry to hear that the danio passed away (been off the forum for the past few days). I really have no experience with undergravel filters, they're a pretty old fashioned form of filtering tanks that only offer very weak filtration. I would personally take the old UGF out and put in a little internal/external filter, which even if small will be bound to have much better filtration than the under gravel filter :good: .

I would definitely advise setting up the quarentine tank ASAP and putting the sick platy in it. I have no experience using Sera med Tremazol however i do have experience using Sterazin which successfully treated a flicking & rubbing problem with some of my fish once (the fish otherwise had no obvious symptoms of gill flukes, but whatever the case it cleared them right up).

Do you can a carbon sponge in your filter right now? Do you ever use any things like scented candles or room fresheners in the tanks room ever?

Ok, I think I have a spare filter lying around so I will try and use that in the quarantine tank ASAP for the platy. And I don't have any carbon in my filter, and never use any candles or spray's in my room as I know it can poison the tank. Thanks for the help, but I know there isn't really much else you can do atm. If any other symptoms crop up in my fish, then I will post again. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back