Seiryu stones or dragon rock?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I have a 20 gallon high and plan on having black sand, java ferns, and anubias. And for the fish I plan on having gudgeons, cories, and another very small schooling fish and so I'm wondering which rock (in your opinion) would be best.

Hey :)
Both are unique but Seiryu is chalky ++ while Dragon (Ohko) is neutral.
Cories and most scholling fishes are rather acidic soft water ones.
Measurments of tank ? Gudgeons are rather large. According to me none of them is suitable in 20 gal high.
In addition, small schooling fishes will serve as a snack : gudgeons are (ambush) predators.

Last edited:
Measurments of tank ? Gudgeons are rather large. According to me none of them is suitable in 20 gal high.
In addition, small schooling fishes will serve as a snack : gudgeons are (ambush) predators.

Really? Ive done lots of research and even people on here have said I can have gudgeons in a 20H... Ive also heard they are pretty peaceful and don't go after medium sized schooling fish. When I say medium sized I mean like over 1 inch.

I will go with dragon rock I suppose. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.
Think that gudgeons are hard water fishes, while Cories are soft acidic water ones.
They require a water dkh of 5.91 which is 100ppm and that is my exact tap water conditions...

I know some species, like peacock gudgeon, would be okay in any tank of at least 18 inches in length. So a 20H would be fine for most groups of gudgeon under 3 in.

As far as the rocks go, I really like the texture of the dragon rocks. I have Seiryu stones in a few of my tanks, and they look nice, but can be a bit bland.

I don't remember where, but I remember reading you can acid treat Seiryu stones to give it a darker color too.

I know some species, like peacock gudgeon, would be okay in any tank of at least 18 inches in length. So a 20H would be fine for most groups of gudgeon under 3 in.

As far as the rocks go, I really like the texture of the dragon rocks. I have Seiryu stones in a few of my tanks, and they look nice, but can be a bit bland.

I don't remember where, but I remember reading you can acid treat Seiryu stones to give it a darker color too.
I may try to do female only with the gudgeons so their not super aggressive... Also thanks for your input on the rocks.

Peacock gudgeon and peacock goby are both used for Tateundina ocellicauda. That's why I usually write peacock gudgeon/goby when referring to these fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back