Seeking help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish2468

Reaction score
Getting back in the hobby with my kids. Had tropical tanks for about 15 years when I was younger but have been out of the game for about 10 years. Iā€™m seeking advice about my current new tank problem.

What do I do?? 30 gallon tank I had been cycling with no fish for 6 weeks. Added 2 platys last week. Testing my water shows high nitrites. Over the last week I have done (3) 50% water changes, dosed with prime,added api quick start for good bacteria, and changed the hang on back filter Cartage. All have done little to lower my nitrites. The levels are 3.0 on the tetra strips, and 1.0 on the api test strips. The tank is well filtered, and well arrayed. What should I do???

The difference in the two test strip results point out part of the issue. Strips are just not all that accurate. I suggest that get you an API master liquid test kit. Liquid tests are a bit more of a hassle but are usually MUCH more accurate.

Also 6 weeks for a fish-less cycle is pretty much the bare minimum. The tank very well may not be fully cycled.

How did you cycle it for those 6 weeks before getting fish - by adding ammonia or fish food, adding 'bottled bacteria' or just letting the tank run?

Whatever it was, you are now doing a fish-in cycle. These two articles were written to help members go through a fish-in cycle successfully.

I have locked this thread as there is another on the same subject. Please post replies in the other thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back