Seeking Expert Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm looking for a few good planted tank experts. I'm willing to learn but after a mountain of searching would really appreciate someone taking me under their wing. I have a Juwel vision 180 with the new T5 highlights and annoyingly have brown hair algae. From what I understand dirt/soil aquarium and a c02 (sugar/yeast mix) might help me combat this menace.

But I'm unsure. I've seen the benefits of a dirt aquarium but figure while my stocking is at 60 something % I might have to much stock for it. I've been reading /researching perhaps a little too much and as a result am brain full of a million ways a theories but since this is the e-home of cycling experts like waterdrop and oldman I figured It'd be best to come here and hope a few of the planted experts see fit to help me out. I'll create a journal if need be.

pic of my brown hair algae aquatic menace

33lz1h0.jpg

2v7tf0x.jpg

By the way why are all c02 diffusers on ebay from China or Malaysia making the lead time for delivery is weeks away?

Juwel vision 180 with the new T5 highlights

What is the wattage on these bulbs (i forget) are they the 39w ones? Here's how it works, LIGHT - C02 - MACROS - MICROS (flow fits in at the top there somewhere). So, the more light, the more demand put on the plants for CO2 and ferts.

From what I understand dirt/soil aquarium and a c02 (sugar/yeast mix) might help me combat this menace.

From this do you mean a nutrient rich substrate?

This kind of algae you are experiencing (black brush algae) again is exacerbated by low C02/fluctuations in C02. Personally, i think that the yeast method is not going to work on this tank. You'd need 5-6 2 ltr bottles, changing 1 every few days. Because you can't control the C02 being produced, you may also find the C02 fluctuates, making the problem worse.

ps, you'll find that in the planted section, we think a lot different to the experts in the freshwater section.

pps, nice Crinums.

Hi ianho

The lights are advertised as 35W and about the c02 if the mix is not consistent I'll switch asap. I've been following a guy on youtube with about 12 aquariums (fish room) all ranging from 75-220gal and he uses dirt and a home made c02 recipe and his growth is stunning.

If I were to switch to a nutrient rich dirt substrate would that increase algae as there are excess nutrients in the water?

Are there any convert to dirt threads on this forum? I'd like to take a look if any are available.

I'm not sure there's anyone at the moment using John Innes soil. A lot of us use nutritious soils though. Personally i have been using JBL aquababis+ for a while, this is an under substrate, it provided nutrients that way. However, a plant would much rather take the nutrients from the water column. So adding ferts daily is what i and many other people on this forum so. Low tech tanks tend to lend themselves to the soil substrate have a look here here. There's other things that exacerbate algae other than just the substrate. As above in the LIGHT - CO2, etc etc algorithm, these need to be in balance, if some of them or even 1 isn't in balance you're at risk of algae. Again looking at your photo, you C02 appears to be fluctuating. I'f i was you i would try some liquid carbon like this

it would be interesting to see this guy's set up, any chance of linking the youtube for us?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back