Seeking advice for an old/dying betta

RomiKitten

Reaction score
Hello, all.

My favorite betta, Taco, has been slowly declining over the last few weeks/months. I've had him for over a year now, and he was probably at least one when I got him.

My beautiful boi used to beg for treats and chase the bloodfin tetras he shares his ten gallon with, but his energy has slowly declined. He's lost quite a bit of color, his fins have gotten that curled look, his eyes have gotten more cloudy, and he's lost his appetite. He used to be a blue butterfly, but he's slowly turned completely blue, and looks more dull recently. He's gotten very skinny, and doesn't come out to eat anymore.

I have increased the temperature of his tank to 82 (a couple of weeks ago), and moved him to a breeder's box inside the tank (yesterday) with a small silk plant, so that he can hide and reach his food better, and still have access to warm, cycled water. I still haven't seen him eat.

Taco lives in a cycled ten gallon with six bloodfin tetras. It's heavily planted with silk plants, and has a bubbler.

Water parameters:
82 degrees farenheit
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8

This was before the 50% water change this morning.

I'm doing everything I can think of to at least make him comfortable, because I don't think he's going to recover. My question is this: is there anything else I could or should be doing for him?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Taco and his tank mates get omega one flake food once a day, supplemented 3 times a week with bloodworms. This has been their diet for their entire lives with me.

All the fish in this tank have lived together for over six months, but I couldn't tell you the exact date. There have never been fin nipping or aggression problems, although Taco used to like to periodically charge through the tetras when they schooled and scare them. He never chased them or tried to eat them. They all get along pretty well.

Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

-----------------------
What does his poop look like?
If it's white and stringy then he probably has an internal bacterial or protozoan infection and this can sometimes be treated with Metronidazole.

There is a product called API General Cure, that contains Metronidazole.

Taco has passed away, unfortunately. He'd been swimming like his back end didn't work, and refusing to eat even when he didn't have to go very far to get to food. I think he was just old and shutting down.

There were no visible signs of illness, and what poo I saw looked normal, but to be honest he didn't leave any poo I could see once he went in the breeder box.

He had a good and happy life while he was with me, and he was a treat to watch wagging his tail for treats and harassing his pet tetras. I really will miss him.

Thank you for trying to help. I don't think there's anything more I could have done for him, but I'd have been willing to try pretty much anything. He was a great fish.

Sorry for your loss. My favorite betta passed about 5 months ago from old age. It was sad but like you said, he had a good life while I had him. It’s sad to watch them deteriorate.

Thank you. We're all going to miss him.

And I agree, watching him slowly shut down was very hard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back