Seed Shrimp... Oddball Magic Cleaners?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Silvermist80

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm sure a lot of you heard of my water woes from the wildfires this summer season. I've had pH problems killing my biofilter, I've had Ammonia spikes, all in tanks well established. Now I have an outbreak of Guppy Disease due to fish stress. More than half of my tanks sit empty. I lost 4 Bettas and have only 2 left, but somehow amongst all this I got Seed Shrimp in my Betta system. They flourished and at first I tried to get rid of them. Then I did some research on their amazing ability to clean and multiply to feed your fish. So I have set up multiple spots to breed the little guys. You would not believe how hardy they are... I discovered this when trying to kill them off. They resist lower levels of chlorine, like in tap water, and ammonia. They resist steaming hot heat and cold. Everyone is always looking for something that will eat fish waste. These guys are it! They eat algae, they eat dead fish and cleaned my bowls that had fins stuck to them from dead fish. They eat fish waste and excess food. I siphoned them out of my Betta area and put them in some water full of waste I siphoned off my tanks. They have broken down a record amount of "crud" quickly and efficiently, no heater required. They will eat fish bodies until literally nothing is left. No bones, nothing. So now that I can't do water changes until I figure out how to fix my water issues, I'm thinking these guys are the answer. Them, along with Seachem Pristine, which is also an awesome product, are keeping my remaining tanks going. I used Pristine and my filter, even after 3 months, is still spotless. Most fish will also eat Seed Shrimp, so they're a self replicating snack for your fish! So before you consider Seed Shrimp a pest to kill, they might instead be your fish tank's new best friend.

I love the seed shrimp, they provide food for my pea puffers and sparkling gourami and keep the tanks algae free. I got a brine shrimp net so I can rescue them from the sponge filter cleaning routine and put them back in the algae pot. And they are fun to watch!

I love the seed shrimp, they provide food for my pea puffers and sparkling gourami and keep the tanks algae free. I got a brine shrimp net so I can rescue them from the sponge filter cleaning routine and put them back in the algae pot. And they are fun to watch!

Absolutely! Yeah, you can net them out with a fine net so they don't get tossed out. As I learn more, I'll be sure to share! :lol: :banana:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back