second hand sand from goldfish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

terrypin

Reaction score
I have just got a second hand fish tank and it came with sand from when it contained goldfish. Can I use this for my tropical fish once it has been rinsed through.

You just never know what was going on in the tank previously. It may have had some sort of bacteia that may still be present especially if the sand is still damp.
I would add a mix of bleach around 10% and let it stand for a while then give it a really good rinse and let it stand overnight filled with water just to be on the safe side.

When I first set up a tank I bought a bag of sand from Evans Toys that is for children's playground use.

Thanks for the replies and advice what I have done before thoroughly rinsing the sand I poured boiling water onto fairly small amounts at a time of the sand to kill any parasites that may be hiding in there. I realize I probably killed any beneficial bacteria but I am cycling the tank and the Filter has some media from my old filter and the new stuff has been treated with bacteria balls. I will be using Seachem stability for the next week at least so hope to be able to introduce a few hardy fish in about a fortnight. Thanks again for the advice and for your interest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back