Second guessing for new filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shiverz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Long story short, my fish gets pushed about by the current, so I bought an air filter as a replacement.

I know if I was switching out the internal filter to another, I'd normally just swap sponge and that would be that done and dusted. Though what do I do when adding an air filter?

I know most of the BB is within the tank, so do I remove the internal filter completely and replace it with the air filter? or do I have them both in simultaneously and let the air filter build some BB before removing the internal?

I've searched around the forums and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, and honestly I feel dumb just for asking this question, but recently I've been second guessing everything about my fish. Personally I think I should replace the filter, simply because the flow is bullying my fish, and is no doubt stressing him out.

What type of media does the internal have, and what type of air filter? I had an air filter with a hollow core intended for carbon which could be used for other media, for example.

Get an adjustable flow HOB filter.

What type of media does the internal have, and what type of air filter? I had an air filter with a hollow core intended for carbon which could be used for other media, for example.
It's sponge, nothing else is inside. My air filter has no further room with my air stone in it, so this too is simply sponge.
Get an adjustable flow HOB filter.
My tank doesn't allow for HOB's. it's fully lidded. The only HOB that would fit is one that I have for my 5 gal emergency QT tank. Plus, I already have the air filter here, no sense is spending more money when not needed eh?

Would it be possible to cut the sponge from the internal into strips and wrap them round the air filter using thread or an elastic band to hold them there? Then after a month, remove one layer at a time?

It's sponge, nothing else is inside. My air filter has no further room with my air stone in it, so this too is simply sponge.

My tank doesn't allow for HOB's. it's fully lidded. The only HOB that would fit is one that I have for my 5 gal emergency QT tank. Plus, I already have the air filter here, no sense is spending more money when not needed eh?
I'm all about saving money, lol

"Fully lidded", meaning it's all glass?...is it hinged?

Would it be possible to cut the sponge from the internal into strips and wrap them round the air filter using thread or an elastic band to hold them there? Then after a month, remove one layer at a time?
That could be a good option, I will be keeping the internal, but I guess letting it dry out and having the bacteria die out would be a waste. I can always replace the sponge I'll get cutting now.
I'm all about saving money, lol

"Fully lidded", meaning it's all glass?...is it hinged?
Haha, I was brought up with it, my ol'mans favourite saying is "It cost me an arm and a leg" normally he's on about a 0.02 increase on a tin of beans or something lol

It's an aquaone aquastart, it's hinged with a full plastic lid that houses two sets of lights (fresh and marine lights). Originally it did have an opening on the back (which is where I'd fit my 5 gallon HOB) but I recently put some acrylic on there to cover the hole. just in case my fish wanted to take flying lessons.

Long story short, my fish gets pushed about by the current, so I bought an air filter as a replacement.

I know if I was switching out the internal filter to another, I'd normally just swap sponge and that would be that done and dusted. Though what do I do when adding an air filter?

I know most of the BB is within the tank, so do I remove the internal filter completely and replace it with the air filter? or do I have them both in simultaneously and let the air filter build some BB before removing the internal?

I've searched around the forums and can't find exactly what I'm looking for, and honestly I feel dumb just for asking this question, but recently I've been second guessing everything about my fish. Personally I think I should replace the filter, simply because the flow is bullying my fish, and is no doubt stressing him out.
I would get a Seachem Tidal HOB filter. I know it may not fit with your current lid, but getting a new lid may be in your best interests. It also has a very adjustable flow.

The tidal isn’t like a normal HOB anyway, it has very little of the actual filter in the tank:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reading between the lines, I take it there is one male fish in this tank and the current is pushing it around. That suggests perhaps a Betta? You do not want HOB filters with this species. No filter at all would be fine, or a simple sponge that provides a very gentle current. If you have floating plants, the bacteria in the filter is not even an issue. And depending upon how long this tank has been running, may not be anyway.

Reading between the lines, I take it there is one male fish in this tank and the current is pushing it around. That suggests perhaps a Betta? You do not want HOB filters with this species. No filter at all would be fine, or a simple sponge that provides a very gentle current. If you have floating plants, the bacteria in the filter is not even an issue. And depending upon how long this tank has been running, may not be anyway.
Yes you would be correct, it is indeed a male betta fish. I originally had floating plants, but I think the light was too close to them and was causing problems as they kept growing some form of algae/mould. I've put in the air filter, and although he was a bit dubious at the bubbles he seems to have calmed down and is swimming a lot more, it's definitely regulated the flow to a more ideal level and I know I can't tell for sure, but, he seems to be more content.

I'll be looking into getting a larger tank for him after I move (and sorted the water situation out) where hopefully it'll be a fully planted tank with no filtration (other than WC's of course), but that's in the future, for now I'll do what I can to make him as comfortable as possible.

The tank has been running and cycled for over a year, however, it's only been occupied by the betta in the past 5-6 months.

Yes you would be correct, it is indeed a male betta fish. I originally had floating plants, but I think the light was too close to them and was causing problems as they kept growing some form of algae/mould. I've put in the air filter, and although he was a bit dubious at the bubbles he seems to have calmed down and is swimming a lot more, it's definitely regulated the flow to a more ideal level and I know I can't tell for sure, but, he seems to be more content.

I'll be looking into getting a larger tank for him after I move (and sorted the water situation out) where hopefully it'll be a fully planted tank with no filtration (other than WC's of course), but that's in the future, for now I'll do what I can to make him as comfortable as possible.

The tank has been running and cycled for over a year, however, it's only been occupied by the betta in the past 5-6 months.

OK. Point here is that you can remove the old filter and put in any new filter without any issue over cycling/bacteria. Less fuss. Floating plants would be best though, now or future tank, and reducing the duration of the tank light might avoid the algae issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back