Seahorses?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sebul

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what it would take to keep a seahorse tank healthy and flourishing? I've always wanted to have seahorses, but I've heard that they are incredibly difficult to take care of and don't want to spend a lot of money only to have the poor things die on me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

It's something I intend to do as well (assuming I can't track down a healthy nautilus or two for my dark room).

I've done some basic research and it all depends on the species. Most important things to keep in mind are

• Temperature - most species require cold water so you might need a chiller. Most need temps lower than 24C.
  • Food - from what I've read they constantly eat and extremely fussy eaters. So you need nutritious food and lots of it.
  • Poop - As they eat they poop so you have to keep the tank clean, skimmers may do this or many water changes.
I really wouldn't recommend it, I've still got a few more tanks to learn on before I even attempt something so ambitious.

Also sea horses I have read need to be in a species only tank. They cannot compete for food with other faster fish.

I have ALWAYS wanted seahorses, it's a dream of mine! ♥

There tropical seahorse species in the trade, so tropical seahorse tanks are possible with correctly selected species. Captive-bred seahorses are also available. The main difficulties are the need for tiny food and the incompatibility with many other fish. However, seahorses do not need to be kept in species tanks. They are often kept with pipe fish and other timid fish with similarly finicky feeding habits. A seahorse tank is certainly not the easiest type of marine tank to set up, but it is certainly doable and probably not too different in difficulty from some reef setups. 

I've always wanted to have seahorses, but I've heard that they are incredibly difficult to take care of and don't want to spend a lot of money only to have the poor things die on me.

Well...that is never a certainty. Random bad luck can always happens and marine fish are just more fragile in general, although captive-bred animals are usually hardier.

Donya said:
There tropical seahorse species in the trade, so tropical seahorse tanks are possible with correctly selected species. Captive-bred seahorses are also available. The main difficulties are the need for tiny food and the incompatibility with many other fish. However, seahorses do not need to be kept in species tanks. They are often kept with pipe fish and other timid fish with similarly finicky feeding habits. A seahorse tank is certainly not the easiest type of marine tank to set up, but it is certainly doable and probably not too different in difficulty from some reef setups. 

I've always wanted to have seahorses, but I've heard that they are incredibly difficult to take care of and don't want to spend a lot of money only to have the poor things die on me.

Well...that is never a certainty. Random bad luck can always happens and marine fish are just more fragile in general, although captive-bred animals are usually hardier.

Yes, I refuse to keep a marine tank atm moment because I don't feel I have the time to manage it properly... one day, one day...

Nice work Donya. Encouragement and good advice always wins me over.
Skies I only spend just over an hour a week on my reef tank, its not that big and is not really any more hard work than a fw tank. Go for it and enjoy.

I kept seahorses a few years ago, and with lots of knowledge and preparation, it's definiately doable. Since it's been awhile, I'm a little rusty on the specifics, but I can share what I know :)

One of the keys to keeping seahorses is buying captive BRED seahorses.  They will be eating frozen mysis, and they are less prone to having parasites and bacterial infections.  I would also familiarize yourself with the "seahorse medicine cabinet".  These are supplies you will want on hand for specific bacterial and parasitic infections, pouch issues with the males, and tube feeding.  The thing with seahorses is, if they go off eating for more than a day or two, they have to be tube fed.  The best advice I can give is just do TONS of research, and be prepared.

I had a 29 gallon tank with live rock, heater, a HOT Magnum filter, and did regular water changes.  There are lots of different set-ups you can have, though. I had two pairs of reidi (these, along with erectus and kuda are the more common tropical species available).  I believe I had a clown goby in with them, and maybe one other peaceful fish. If I remember correctly, you'd generally only want to put in pipefish with captive bred seahorses if the pipefish were also captive bred.  They can be affected by the same pathogens, and I think some people don't want to risk exposing the seahorses.

There is alot to learn about caring for seahorses, but it's worth it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back