FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ghostknife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to set up a tank for seahorses my planned stock is:

-2 Tiger tail seahorse Hippocampus comes
-1 or 2 Marine leaf fish Taeniotus tricanthus
-1 warty frogfish Antennarius sp.(can't remember the last part)
- 2 pairs of pipefish ie. Bluestripe pipefish and banded pipefish

What size tank would i need for that lot and are they compatible? what equipment would i need? and what do leaffish and frogfish eat?

as adrinal said, DO YOUR RESEARCH. they can be quite expensive in the first place, but are also extremely delicate and difficult to keep. i looked into them when i first got into fish, with the thought that i'd like to just have tank with them. after doing much research (you'll have to weed through a lot of webpages, so books are good route), i decided they are just too delicate for a newbie to try. but let us know if you decide to give it a shot.....................
sea horses are beautiful creatures

Is it true that seahorses require at least a 50 gallon tank just for one of them
and that they eat about 5 shrimp each day, If they leave their food you have to chuck it away, they wont accept the same food from before

Ive read that you shouldnt really keep seahorses with fish because faster fish will prevent the seahorses from getting food. And, seahorses prefer tall tanks as opposed to most fish which prefer long tanks.

ghostknife said:
I would like to set up a tank for seahorses my planned stock is:

-2 Tiger tail seahorse Hippocampus comes
-1 or 2 Marine leaf fish Taeniotus tricanthus
-1 warty frogfish Antennarius sp.(can't remember the last part)
- 2 pairs of pipefish ie. Bluestripe pipefish and banded pipefish

What size tank would i need for that lot and are they compatible? what equipment would i need? and what do leaffish and frogfish eat?
:rolleyes: i guess you can keep them. i fyou wish to keep them , rpovide a tank with no dangers, virtually no competition as far as feeding is concerned and remember they need live foods everyday.!!!!!!!!! i hope your seahorse keeping goes well!!! :) ba-bye!!!!

What I would suggest is to take a trip out to a tropical sealife centre, not just an ordinary one and speak to the fishkeepers. Not just the PR people, but the ones that "look after" the fish. You'll be shocked and surprised at what you will learn.
Before I decided to go tropical, I wanted a marine aquarium. I had this 6 footer by 19 inches by 36" tank and was going to set it up etc.etc. Then the weekend came up and I thought wouldn't it be nice to visit a sealife centre. So we all went to "The Deep" in Hull. A massive complex.
To cut a long story short, I came home with my tails between my legs(metaphorically speaking) We throughly enjoyed our day out and I was awe struck by the fish and the size of the aquarium, but the keeping of them was just mind blowing. They had an information desk for aquarists and I admire people who keep a marine tank. The amount of cash that you must sink into it must be phenomenal.
So my friend......heed the very good advice that has been given, before you live to regret it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought seahorses were much happier kept in a species tank. And yes, the big tropical marine tank at the Deep is fascinating, I'd love to have a tank like that :)

yes clownloach they do usualy prefer a species tank. but given a large tank with slow, very very non aggressive fish, it could work out. i think bottom feeders would be best cuz wouldnt take food away from the sea horses. if u want to keep just remember to check the water levels often because they can not take unstable water levels that most fish can. and i suggest that u wait a while after tank is cycled to put them in to make sure every thing is stable. but if u feel u can take care of them and will take the time to do all the water testings. u can keep them

also in the tank put plenty of corals and such for them to hang on to. and they cannot have very fast water movment.

u seem to have plenty of work exsperience in FW, u may be qualified

I have GOOD NEWS for those, who like me, long to keep seahorses! :fish:

Wild caught seahorses are notoriously difficult to sustain in the home aquarium - but farm-raised oceanic equines are easier to feed (most eat frozen food), they're more disease resistant and keeping them doesn't deplete endangered seahorse populations.

Seahorse experts such as Pete Giwojna suggest buying captive bred seahorse from breeders like Ocean Rider, Inc. Here is their web site:

http://www.oceanrider.com/default.asp

Of course, research is always necessary when keeping aquarium fishes, but this link will take you to a page to tell you what you need to know to get started with seahorses!

http://www.oceanrider.com/ready.asp#mysis

Best Success!!!

I think you would be much better off choosing to keep either seahorses or pipe fish. If you really want to keep them together I would reccomend a tank over 100 gallons, you could keep alot but they would need that much space. What size were you thinking of getting?The other thing about seahorses is that they are extremely picky about water quality so make sure it's perfect!

I too have been researching the possibility of getting seahorses....I thought you needed a big tank, but I am finding out you don't need a big one.....
Here is a quote from oceanrider.com

Tank height: 20 inches minimum is recommended
Tank Volume and Stocking capacity: 10 gallons for 2 to 4 individuals, 25 gallon for 4 to 10 individuals, 55 gallon for 10 to 15
100 gallon for 15 to 25, 150 gallon for 20 to 30

Tank Mates:
These include: blennies, gobies,draganets, mandarins, percula clowns, some butterflys, tangs and wrasses, soft and hard corals, plants.

Avoid:
Damsels, Triggers, Tomato Clowns, Anemones, and any aggressive fish.

Clean Up Crew:
These include Nazarus snails, turbo grazers, sea cucumbers, various cleaner shrimps, brittle stars, starfish, and hermit crabs

and for the dwarf (or pixies as they call them) they say a 1-10 gallon, preferably a 5 gallon....they say height is important.....a lot have 8 gallon hex tanks which seem to be taller than a rectangular tank

Feeding seems the most difficult part in keeping them

I am still unsure if I want to take the plunge yet though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back