Seahorse help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

L&K

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi everyone. Concerned about what my seahorse. She swims around the tNk (not my concern.that means she loves her home) what concerns me is that she lays on the sand and seems to be scratching (like what dogs do) should i be worried

Attachments

• 20200827_065258.jpg
    20200827_065258.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 156
I am no SW expert, or even beginner, but usually when fish rub against things, they have ich.

I do not know how to treat ich in a marine aquarium, only a freshwater.

@Chad may be able to help. Good luck!

• Wow
Reactions: L&K
Like most animals fish will itch and scratch. If they do this infrequently then it is nothing more than scratching an itch like you and I do. However, if they do it a lot, then it's a sign of a problem. Most commonly that problem is an external parasite. There are protozoa that will get on seahorses. Commonly they are called "ciliates". With many salt water creatures you can do a freshwater dip. That means you take the creature out of your tank and dip them in fresh water, just like it sounds. How long depends on the creature. There are also anti-parasite treatments. If the entire tank is infected a dip will only work temporarily and the seahorse will get infected once it is returned to the tank.

I recommend searching this forum for more information. Since this isn't primarily a forum for seahorses you might not find what you are looking for. In that case, there is a seahorse farm, Ocean Rider. They can recommend some good medicines. Much of what I know about seahorses I got from their information.

It's always nice to get the same advice from multiple places.
Yes I agree. My husband had a really bad alge problem in his 180g and we were told,do 100% water change, do this,do that. The last and final easiest thing worked. "Algiefix" we wanted to die. Fixed in less than hr

Yikes. That is extreme.
Yea and the next day it was back. Algiefix did the job. We had our trash cans full of water and conditioner already so we have thought ready Yes and the trash cans out with have is only for our freshwater tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back