Seafood/beefheart Mix For Discus (or Other Cichlids!)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
I thought I would share the recipe to a home made seafood mix that my Discus LOVE! It is also great for other omnivorous or carnivorous fish too!

Ingredients:

3/4 lb raw tuna
3/4 lb pacific salmon
15-20 clams
1/3 cup Sera Discus blue and red pellets
1/3 cup color bits
1/3 cup Hikari Discus Gold
*The above cup of dried food can be replaced with any dry food, dry food your fish will not readily eat or approx. a cup of raw squid/prawns/shrimp
1-2 Multivitamins (make sure to grind into powder)
1/3 cup cooked and de shelled green peas/boiled spinach 50:50 mix
1/2 tbsp paprika
4-6 clove garlic
A pinch of spirulina powder
*1 VERY ripe banana (this is a binding agent, and must be added to the mix) Gelatin and be used as a substitute.

Put all the ingredients into a blender with the fish at the bottom (make sure to mash the green peas into a paste and puree the garlic) if the blender is struggling, feel free to add a little bit of water/orange juice (not too much though) or a raw egg! Should have the same consistency as cake batter, small chunks are no problem.

Once blended, scoop into zip lock backs and flatten. Let the bags of food freeze and then cut them into chunks, and there you have an easy and very healthy frozen food for your fish!

Happy cooking!

DL

Sounds like a great recipe! I would love to give it a try for my Lab's and angel's, but too many ingredients . Plus, I doubt my mom would want me blending fish in the house( she doesn't like the idea of anything fish related in the kitchen )

Do you know of an easier to make recipe for angel's?

Sounds like a great recipe! I would love to give it a try for my Lab's and angel's, but too many ingredients . Plus, I doubt my mom would want me blending fish in the house( she doesn't like the idea of anything fish related in the kitchen )

Do you know of an easier to make recipe for angel's?

You can always tweak the recipie, even if you just used the fish, banana and vitamins that would work fine. I got the idea from another Discus keeper, and tweaked it to fit the diet I wanted for my fish :)

I have been looking into home made food. But I want to wait until I get my multies so It will be eaten faster. You could add a lot to a home made recipee really, maybe some blood worms, or shrimp; freeze dried of course. I think I might try this as I can use some cichlid pellets my ram doesn't really favor.

I don't like the idea of feeding them frozen (non defrosted) food.

But if you defrosted it then it would just spoil the water wouldn't it?

Seems like a good idea, but the food really needs to be in a relatively solid pellet form and not frozen.

Seems like a good idea, but the food really needs to be in a relatively solid pellet form and not frozen.

Come to thinkof it, you are totally right. But I have read of where people make their own food and freeze it and they are fine. I have no prior expirence, you probally do, so I better not say too much in this matter.

Sounds like hassle lol :p

Actually it's not too bad. Throw everything into a blender and freeze. It is quite a bit cheaper then premade frozen food too!

I have been looking into home made food. But I want to wait until I get my multies so It will be eaten faster. You could add a lot to a home made recipee really, maybe some blood worms, or shrimp; freeze dried of course. I think I might try this as I can use some cichlid pellets my ram doesn't really favor.

Yes, you could add any freeze dried food you like. I chose to add the pellets because most of my fish won't take them readily ;) it's better to grind them into a powder also (this is the only hassle I found), so it will mix in better.

I think you mean like letting it sit before putting it in? I don't. I don't with any of my frozen foods. Some people say you should but I find my fish eat better with a large easy target, and peck at it after it melts. Shouldn't be too much of a problem letting it sit first though if you did choose to do that, after throwing it into 30C water it does that quickly anyways, the banana (or gelatin) definitley helps to keep it togather though, although it is a tad messy, it is still much better then beefheart!

Sounds great! I might give that a go!

I dont know about discus but i reckon all my fish would devour that! I would swap the discus pellets for cichlid pellets in my case though.

What are the vitamins? Are they specific fish vitamins?

Cheers

Gaz

Sounds great! I might give that a go!

I dont know about discus but i reckon all my fish would devour that! I would swap the discus pellets for cichlid pellets in my case though.

What are the vitamins? Are they specific fish vitamins?

Cheers

Gaz

Just like an everyday multi vitamin. Like Centrum.

Edited the ingredients a bit to give more options for someone feeling they would like to try something like this, but also will be the exact format I will use for the next batch, which is going to have no prepared foods but probably a 1/2 cup of squid and a 1/2 cup of shrimp :good:

Won't be until I run out of the stuff I have now, which will be a few months, but I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of the new batch and palatability vs. a batch with prepared foods. Possibly post some pictures to show how easy it is to make if anyone is interested.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back