🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I bought a bottle of Seachem Prime a while back, and now my old stuff has run out. I look on the back at the instructions, and it says “5ml for every 50 gallons”. If you do the math, that’s 0.1 ml for every gallon. Now who on earth has a 0.1 ml dropper??

What do I use to do my water changes?

(Also please try to answer fast, because my water levels are low...)

@essjay

You can at least double the dose safely.
Hi guys!

So I bought a bottle of Seachem Prime a while back, and now my old stuff has run out. I look on the back at the instructions, and it says “5ml for every 50 gallons”. If you do the math, that’s 0.1 ml for every gallon. Now who on earth has a 0.1 ml dropper??

What do I use to do my water changes?

(Also please try to answer fast, because my water levels are low...)

@essjay
ive been told you double the dose to neutralize chloramines and can safe dose 5x to neutralize nitrates in a pinch.

I try to use 1ml for every 10 gallons, which would be 1 thread line on the cap if you don’t have a small enough dropper

It is better not to overdose anything, including water conditioners.

I have a 1 ml babies' medicine dosing syringe graduated in 1/100th ml (0.01 ml). I have just measured 1/10 ml (0.1 ml) and it's 2 drops. If you have a pipette like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CTVZ8HC/?tag= all you need to do is measure 2 drops per gallon.

Edited for spelling

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is better not to overdose anything, including water conditioners.

I have a 1 ml babies' medicine dosing syringe graduated in 1/100th ml (0.01 ml). I have just measured 1/10 ml (0.1 ml) and it's 2 drops. If you have a pipette like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CTVZ8HC/?tag= all you need to do is measure 2 drops per gallon.

Edited for spelling
I will get some of those. The dropper I have now only has the .5ml as the lowest mark. I could estimate, but I would rather not... thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a few of those pipettes as well. Mine have marks every 0.25 ml which is fine if I want to measure 0.25 or 0.5 but the babies medicine dosing measuring syringe is good for very tiny measurements https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-ORAL...618628&hash=item23a13952b9:g:hmoAAOSwhHJbAHLa

Tip - if you go into a real shop and ask for one, the babies' medicine bit is very important. If you ask for just a syringe, they'll assume you want it for something illegal.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You posted while I was typing. That dropper/pipette is good too. All you need is something you can draw the liquid into with fine enough control to release one drop at a time.

(I find Ebay sells things in smaller numbers)

do as small a dose as you can measure - 1ml or 1/2 ml - whatever you can measure. Add to a small container with measurements on it and an easy measurement of water like ounces. Fill up to 10 ounces add your small amount of Prime and then just pour in 1/10th of the water into your tank. I hope this makes sense. So you're basically putting too large of a dose of prime in based on the smallest amount you can measure with the tools you have on hand - so maybe it's 10x more prime than you need (1ml??) then you put it in 10 ounces of water mix and dump in 1 oz of the 10 oz of water.

o you're basically putting too large of a dose of prime in based on the smallest amount you can measure with the tools you have on hand - so maybe it's 10x more prime than you need (1ml??) then you put it in 10 ounces of water mix and dump in 1 oz of the 10 oz of water.
I believe that premixing with water is not good as it will not remain potent for subsequent water changes. It seems to me with a little head scratching, you could find that 1/8 or 1/4 tsp does the deed.

I wasn't suggesting the large batch be kept for future use. Just an idea as OP sounded like they needed a quick solution.

I wasn't suggesting the large batch be kept for future use. Just an idea as OP sounded like they needed a quick solution.
I was able to get a little more out of the bottle, hopefully the rest will last until the dropper comes in...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back