Seachem HOB opinions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I know most on here prefer Aqua Clear or Aqeon but while searching over the weekend I could not find any from a UK supplier. Didn't want to wait (or pay) for shipping or have to change plugs so I ordered a Seachem Tidal 35. Write up and reviews seem good. Product info here.

Any opinions?

I'll post a review once its up and running as it may be a good alternative for UK members.

I haven't used one but it's made by Sicce, an Italian company that use to make good internal power filters, although they were more expensive than most other brands. But if Sicce has kept their quality control up, it should be a good filter.

Watching a review on YouTube, the only issues I can see is the intake is close to the surface so it won't pick up much gunk off the bottom. And there is no way to put a sponge over the intake to stop small fish being sucked in. Apart from that is should be a reasonable filter.

I have never had one, but just by reading the "Features" section, I can tell you are getting a good filter, good luck! ;)

I didn’t even know that Seachem made filters. Please let us know how you like it.

SeaChem don't make them, they buy them from Sicce and rename them.

I know that Sicce is the mfg of the pump, not sure if they mfg the filter. The Tidal has a couple of bells and whistles. It's nice that the pump is submerged (as long as the aquarium is full) so there is no priming. I have heard that Sicce had some problems with other pumps and complaints about customer service...time will tell. The media compartment is odd shaped, but otherwise the Tidal's look like a promising filter. As far as the others, I'm still an Aquaclear fan. Although I like Aqueon as a company, I have little use for cartridge HOB filters as they as a marketing cash cow for cartridges (they give the razors away because the real money is in the blades!!!). Now if you 'pimp' your cartridge filter to take bio-sponge, well maybe we're talkin.
Good luck with your Tidal filter - I suspect it will work well for you.

SeaChem don't make them, they buy them from Sicce and rename them.
check the link in the first post, it says made by Sicce :)
https://www.seachem.com/tidal-35.php

Tidal™ 35
NEW! Exceptional filtration in aquariums up to 35 US gallons (130 Liters)
made-by-sicce.png

check the link in the first post, it says made by Sicce :)
https://www.seachem.com/tidal-35.php

Tidal™ 35
NEW! Exceptional filtration in aquariums up to 35 US gallons (130 Liters)
made-by-sicce.png
My mistake - In the initial press releases, Seachem was taking all the bows for designing a great new filter. Looks like their just marketing it or perhaps Seachem designed it but Sicce is the manufacturer? (Like Maytag and Whirlpool washers that may come from three or more manufacturers.)

Well its in and I have to say I am impressed. Don't really have much to add to this guy's review

For my first HOB, installation was ridiculously easy and maintenance looks the same. It seems well made and everything fits together nicely. Some of the water is drawn in through the slits at the top of the motor housing so it doubles up as a mini surface skimmer. In the larger models you can control the ratio between the two intakes. The larger models also have an extendible tube for the tank intake so you can use a sponge pre-filter. (cf @Colin_T comment about the high intake and the reviewers comments about fry). In my study I cannot hear the pump at all across the room. I can, of course hear the water but that's a pleasant sound. From where I am sitting I cannot see it at all as it is completely hidden behind the frogbit roots. If I move them I can't notice it because its all black and I have a black background. Its compact enough that I never had to modify my lid to put it on.

For now I have ignored the Seachem Matrix that was supplied in a ziplock mesh bag and dropped the two sponges from my old sponge filter in there. The flow adjustment is both simple and effective. I have left mine on full as the tank inhabitants do appreciate a decent flow. My tank is the same size as the one in the review and this was enough to kick up any muck from the substrate without disturbing the sand. I will probably use the control to turn it right down at feeding time.

The little float indicator to warn that your media is clogged is cool, but TBH cleaning is so simple its hard to see why anyone wouldn't just rinse it out every week. So much so that I'm thinking the big brother may be a worthy replacement for the canister in the community tank when the time comes. Not having to prime it is great so power failures are not an issue. (Self priming is marketing speak for the pump is inside the tank so you don't need to prime it :))

I just got my Tidal 55 for my 20g yesterday. So far I like it. I'm running it in parallel with the Pengiun 150 it will be replacing.

I only use polyfill in the Marineland along with its bio-wheel, so I took the polyfill from the Marineland and put it between the sponge and media that came with the Tidal. I put two cartridges in the Marineland just so the carbon can pick up any possible chemicals from the new Tidal, and in a couple weeks I'll cut the pads off of them and add to the Tidal, tossing the carbon.

I like that the 55 came with two extensions for the intake tube. I only use one, and fully extended, it's about an inch above my substrate.

My only gripe is the plastic "feels" a little thin and flimsy, but it doesn't feel like it's going to crack or anything.

I'm liking mine, I hope you enjoy yours as well :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back