Sea Urchin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
im doing a drip a acclimatisation thing on all my stock. corals 1 hour sea urchin 2 hours. so how would i remove my little sea urchin? a net? atm he is moving on the side of the bucket.

I assume its a normal pincushion type if so these are fine to handle if its a big black urchin then dont use your hands

They have soft spines so gently move it with your hands then add it to the tank you will be fine :)

You do need to acclimate corals...
Why would you think not?
What do you think happens when it rains? on a real reef the parameters change dramatically quickly. I don't acclimate any of my corals. I have all kinds of corals that are doing fine, never lost one.
Unless you mean acclimating to lights, which is different.

Do to seriously think that a drop of rain changes the oceans parameters?
Any thing that has a complex cell structure (that's pretty much anything living) needs to be acclaimatized to a new environment, fish, algae, corals not only have pressure to deal with bit loads of other factors aswell.

Read up on osmotic shock before posting great sweeping comments.
Harry carry on the way you going pal, rain! Lol it would be like a drop in the ocean (pun time :) )

Do to seriously think that a drop of rain changes the oceans parameters?
No, but a hurricane will. And not necassarily over the entire ocean, but of a certain area (such as a lagoon/reef), it could quickly change the paramaters (namely temp.).
Any thing that has a complex cell structure (that's pretty much anything living) needs to be acclaimatized to a new environment, fish, algae, corals not only have pressure to deal with bit loads of other factors aswell.
Pressure? as in water temp? how would that be a factor? There would be pretty much no pressure in either a bag or our tanks.

Read up on osmotic shock before posting great sweeping comments.
Harry carry on the way you going pal, rain! Lol it would be like a drop in the ocean (pun time :) )
If you argue with me on this, I have one request for you...have proof that not acclimating a coral will do serious damage/kill it. 99% of corals that I put into my tank without acclimating open up within a day of it going into the tank, with the exception being SPS, which sometimes take a day or two.

The SG of the ocean is a constant, nothing bar global disaster is going to change that, point 1.
Point 2, type into google coral aclaimatization, everyone says to do it, they go so far as to say that only corals really need it done, all LFS (good ones anyway) do and advise to do it as do public aquariums.
Do you know what osmotic shock is? If not read up on it as it is very important to know and finally I'm not going to argue the toss, I do every thing in my power to protect my fish/corals from harm but you can do what you like but to advice someone with an outdated and silly view on coral care is just wrong.

Ps. Your coral is fine now but what about next time.
http://www.aquacon.com/chat.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_shock

Read those

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back