Sea-monkeys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hazza_playz

Reaction score
Hi there. I have Sea-Monkeys and started their tank about 5 days ago. On day 3, yellow/orange stuff started to appear in my tank. I keep aerating their tank and I just fed them today, please advise..

The orange yellow stuff is probably their old skin, they shed it as they grow. You should try to remove the dead skins so they don't pollute the water.

Depends on what type of tank you want, do you want one for raising lots of these guys for your fish?

If so click here.

Or do you want one for raising a relativity small amount as just a treat for your fish and for the fun?

If so I'll probably get back to you tomorrow on the my method (I'm tired for once lol), but you should decide on what size of tank you want.
My method gives you a low yeild of brine shrimp, but they last for ages, will breed, and the water stays clear. Basically just a bigger version of the sea monkey tanks without paying loads for the stupidly small sachets :good:
You don't need to aerate the water either (something the sea-monkey company made up to make you buy the 'million bubble air pump').

550g is alot, I have a 30g sachet of mixed Artemia species and I don't think I'll ever have to buy another! (and I actually got that one free anyway!)
A few members mentioned that the following is a easy way to raise BBS for fish food, though the last thing the OP needs is more cysts.

The orange yellow stuff is probably their old skin, they shed it as they grow. You should try to remove the dead skins so they don't pollute the water.
Hi there, Colin. Thankyou for your reply. They are only 5 days old at the moment, does this mean, that they will shred even more? And, if so, how do I remove the dead skins? Thanks in advance.

No reason to remove the molts, the calcium they provide is beneficial.

They shed their skin every few days while growing to maturity, then its less often. You can use an eye dropper or syphon the old skins out. You want to remove them so they don't rot and cause ammonia. If you get an ammonia reading in the water it can kill them.

wait can these shrimps breed in water or do the eggs have to be dried out

They are a bit like Daphnia and can produce live young when conditions are good, but eggs when the lakes start to warm up and dry out.

Artemia eggs have to dry out before they can be hatched. It's an adaptation to their natural environment (salt lakes) where the lakes fill when it rains and the dry eggs hatch out and the shrimp grow and breed. The adults produce eggs that float around and get washed up onto the shore where they dry out and remain dormant until the lake fills up again.

Hey,
I currently have two tanks os sea monkies, one around 4 months old which I believed was thriving and the other around a month old.
I followed all the instructions, added the water purifier, waited to add the eggs, fed at the recommended levels and times until grown.
My first tank (4 month old) has 1 adult sea monkey that has developed some black spots on their extremities. I've been trying to source some sea medic or red magic in an attempt to save the rest of the tank.
I've only replaced a very small amount of evaporated water, using bottled distilled water and now that I have a fair population within the tank, I feed them once a week with the large spoon. I'm not sure why one has developed the black spots. Any help would be appreciated. Nothing has changed, they're on a window sill that does not get direct sunlight.
Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

picture of the brineshrimp in question?
it could be a female with eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back