Sea-monkeys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I saw that episode. I believe they called them sea men. The reason that they developed in the episode is that cartman went to a sperm bank and got a couple of tubes of sperm and dumped in the tank. :lol:

Hrm... Might go and get some :) I had them ages ago, they were really easy to keep, I'd imagine it would be even easier now I know more about them... Think I'll have a go at making my own 'tank', I've still got my old one lying about :p

Gads. Sea monkeys and ant farms, my two favorite "toys" when I was a kid.
I remember being SO disappointed when they didn't develop into the anthropomorphic caricatures displayed on the packaging. :lol:

My amano shrimp is so much more interesting than my sea monkeys ever were.

I remember being SO disappointed when they didn't develop into the anthropomorphic caricatures displayed on the packaging. :lol:

WOW... you sure used big words when you were a kid. ;)

:rofl: Sorry, I read too much, sometimes I can't think of the easier words to describe things. :blink:

:rofl: Sorry, I read too much, sometimes I can't think of the easier words to describe things. :blink:

I bet Google and Dictionary.com is overheating with people looking up "anthropomorphic cariacatures". LOL

"I remember being SO disappointed when they didn't look like the cartoon drawings..."

I went off and bought 550g of artemia cysts!! (sea monkey eggs!!)

Way way way way way way too much if ya ask me so I think I'm going to hatch and mature some to feed to my mature fish. :drool: :hyper:

Your saying that you add yeast to feed the babies to bring them to adult hood...is there anything else you may add? When they hatch do you continue to aerate the water and should you remove the egg remenants? (maybe a stupid question but aeration could cause alot of water movement maybe disrupting the poor critters!!)

Thank you for any replies!! :)

Depends on what type of tank you want, do you want one for raising lots of these guys for your fish?

If so click here.

Or do you want one for raising a relativity small amount as just a treat for your fish and for the fun?

If so I'll probably get back to you tomorrow on the my method (I'm tired for once lol), but you should decide on what size of tank you want.
My method gives you a low yeild of brine shrimp, but they last for ages, will breed, and the water stays clear. Basically just a bigger version of the sea monkey tanks without paying loads for the stupidly small sachets :good:
You don't need to aerate the water either (something the sea-monkey company made up to make you buy the 'million bubble air pump').

550g is alot, I have a 30g sachet of mixed Artemia species and I don't think I'll ever have to buy another! (and I actually got that one free anyway!)

Tell me about it...the bag is HUGE!! Got it off the internet from a russian breeding farm.

I'll wait until tomorrow to hear your method. I know about the bottle method so if you have any helpful hints to do with that method (if that is what you do) then I'm definately eager to hear them!! :)

I bet Google and Dictionary.com is overheating with people looking up "anthropomorphic cariacatures". LOL

"I remember being SO disappointed when they didn't look like the cartoon drawings..."

:lol:
Yeah... erm. Hehe!
Guess I could have said "I was so disappointed they didn't grow into the king and queen on the box". Then again, that wouldn't have perfectly described exactly what I meant! What if someone were to misunderstand me? ;) :p

I'll wait until tomorrow to hear your method. I know about the bottle method so if you have any helpful hints to do with that method (if that is what you do) then I'm definately eager to hear them!!
It's nothing special, just a big cheaper sea-monkey tank :good: .
The bottle method is a way of hatching BBS (unless you have some other 'bottle' method), not for growing brine shrimp to adult hood and breeding them in a sustainable colony. If you want to grow them to adult hood in something as small as a cola bottle and with low maintainance, then you are going to get a very low yield of brine shrimp compared to doing something like this.

Is that what you want?

Food wise, powdered yeast (use a mortar and pestle for this if you can) is good, spirulina powder is great too if you can find that.

You will also need salt, sea-salt from the supermarket works well as long as it doesn't contain any additives like anti-caking agents (that's what they say at least, I doubt it actually makes a difference and this is something I am going to test at some point). Marine salt for reef aquariums works very well too if you have any of this lying around, but it's not worth buying unless you are going to use RO water for the tank.
I would avoid tap water, but you can use it if you want and it usually works :good:. It's better to boil it than add any dechlorinators for a few reasons, and I've never had success with dechlorinated tap water.
The best water to use is bottled spring/mineral water from your supermarket.

You are looking to add 30-35 grams of salt per litre

What size of 'tank' are you going to be growing them in?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back