Sea Horses.... Good Idea?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LyleBabcock

Reaction score
I have a small moray (18 inches) and a small volitan lion in a 55 gallon. I have a taste for the exotic and would loooove to complete the tank with a pair of sea horses. I've read that they're not compatable. my moray is extremely docile (or just plain lazy) and my lion is too small to eat somthing as big as a med sized sea horse. They don't even mess with the small damsels or the small inverts i have in the tank either (i'll get rid of the damsels if i get a sea horse). So would a sea horse be a good idea? or is this just wishfull thinking?

Not a good idea IMO. You'll be surprised how hungry a dwarf lionfish can get ;)

well, there goes that idea, thanks guys
Wait, wait

What about creating a refugium type tank on the side of your main tank if you have the room? It runs off the filtration of the main tank and the water would be calmer for the seahorses. I'm contemplating that, once I'm all set up and have been running for awhile. I asked about it and this was the response.

you can have sumps/refugiums anywhere, even next to the main tank. It's just a matter of getting the water from the main tank into the refugium with the seahorses and then pumping it back into the main tank. You can have the seahorse tank at the same height as the main tank and just have a piece of pipe going from one tank to the other. Then as you pump water out of the seahorse tank into the main tank, the water level will drop a bit and new water from the main tank will flow into the seahorse tank. You will need some sponge over the ends of the pipe to prevent things getting into it and blocking it up but it can be done.

-edit---
BTW :hi: to the fourm :hyper: I see in your profile that pics are to come...I'm looking forward to it :snap:

you know i was thinking about doing that and keeping feeder fish in there so my lion would have a constant supply. i'm thinkin about making my own sump tank with alittle ten gallon anyway. I'll definatly entertain the idea. thanks

I have a small moray (18 inches) and a small volitan lion in a 55 gallon. I have a taste for the exotic and would loooove to complete the tank with a pair of sea horses. I've read that they're not compatable. my moray is extremely docile (or just plain lazy) and my lion is too small to eat somthing as big as a med sized sea horse. They don't even mess with the small damsels or the small inverts i have in the tank either (i'll get rid of the damsels if i get a sea horse). So would a sea horse be a good idea? or is this just wishfull thinking?

I'd have to say that any lion or eel would be risky... plus seahorses will "hitch" on just about anything including slow-moving fish. Slow-moving fish with venomous spines.

You should set up another tank for seahorses though- they're great! I have a pair of reidi and I love them to death. A 10 gallon will not be quite enough physical space for most species... well, any species other than dwarfs, really. I think erectus are supposed to be okay in 15+ gallons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back