Scuba Diving

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

catxx

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
has anyone here been scuba diving in the red sea?
thinking of going in november for my birthday, to Dahar (been looking at Neilson package holidays), has anyone been? do they recommend it? what time of year did you go?

i went scuba diving once, in a swimming pool, in st lucia, when i was 7, so that doesn't really count

the red sea sounds nice and shallow and easy.

I haven't done the Red Sea, but here's a thread on Scuba Diving :thumbs: so perhaps some of those guys can give you tips.

I've been to the Red Sea, but up in Sharm, I believe that Dahar is better diving because there are not so many divers there, though from what I understand, there is more to see in Ras Mohammed because of the currents with it being a peninsula.

I was there November 2004 and November 2003 and I may well be there again in November 2006 as it's my birthday too.

It's not as warm as in the summer months but I still only wear a 2mm shortie (I do have plenty of natural insulation though) and I suspect that it may be a bit cooler down in Dahar.

The big things with pointy teeth tend not to be as prolific at that time of year either.

I'd definately say go.

Arfie

thanks arfie!

but by "cooler" you don't mean cool like it is in england and snowing!
i was in portugal last december, that was "cool", but i could still walk around in a t-shirt. i'm a red head anyway, i don't like super-hot, can't handle all that. hehe.

no large things with pointy teeth eh? that sounds...safer. hehe!

Oh hell no, not the air temperature, I was talking about the water temperature, we are after all talking about diving ;)

The weather was like a nice summers day over here, sorta 70F or so. I've only done Portugal in May and Sharm was warmer than Portugal and the water certainly is, the sea around the Algarve was colder than Stoney Cove :crazy:

Back to the water, most people I was diving with were in 5mm full wetsuits and I was in a 2mm shortie, after a 45 mins or so, I started to feel a bit nippy on some of the dives, not cold, just a bit nippy. The others were all OK in full suits.

Where ever you go, you should get good diving in, if you go to Sharm instead of Dahar in November, you may see me there :D So thats another reason to go to Dahar then :lol:

Even in Sharm in November you should see some Barracuda though not the big shoals of them, just not so many sharks :(

Arfie

the sea around the Algarve was colder than Stoney Cove :crazy:

no way.. (little point stoney cove is like one of the best inland dive spots in england and has i high rep for world wide, never been myself but my dad sats its ace but when you get in the water it feels like a kick in the head :lol: )

Most reactions

Back