Science Teacher Needs Identification Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

amjander

Reaction score
Hello!

So I am a science teacher who was wondering if anyone could identify the following two types of fish for my classroom:

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed.jpg

The first fish species are two striped little guys. One of them has some orange on its dorsal fin with two black spots while the other is more plain looking (I am guessing this is just a gender difference).

The second species are two orange fish. They are somewhat transparent with a pink/red area around their gills.

They are both freshwater tropical fish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The stripy ones are 'kribs', Pelvicachromis pulcher.

I'm not sure on the orange one, I'm afraid.

I'm not the best at fish ID but my first thought was kribensis and some kind of African cichlid, possibly yellow lab? If so then I'm not sure that the reddening of the gills is a natural feature and may be a sign of gill irritation or damage.

Could they be gold rams? :c

I believe the stripped ones are definitely the kribensis "kribs"- thanks so much!! 

The orange ones I do not believe are rams- I have some balloon rams so I am familiar with rams. They are really docile so it makes me not believe they are cichlids (unless they are dwarfs or a more docile cichlid). The male ram is definitely the most aggressive fish in the tank from my observations.

I will try to get some better pictures of the orange guys they are pretty quick so it makes for a challenge !
photo.gif

1- Female Kribensis
2- Young Male Kribensis
3- (I think...) Orange Chromide... in fact... I am sure of it, they are very very young so don't look as well coloured as a lot of the google images but the eyes give it away. (the one in the background looks really skinny?)

MBOU: Thank you!! I believe your are right! I googled them and they seem to have the same patterning when you look at them closely and the eyes are most definitely a match. I did just acquire these fish yesterday but I think the picture is just blurry making them look really skinny. They are now on a nice diet of flakes, bloodworms, and veggies.

Most reactions

trending

Back