School whittling away

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wdavidnc

Reaction score
I used to have a school of 6 Red-Blue Columbian tetras and a school of 6 Australian rainbowfish. I'm now down to 1 rainbowfish and 3 tetras. I know this is far from ideal but right now I'm not in a position to get new fish and when I move I'm going to be setting up a 50 gallon and I'm not sure if these are the schools I'll want in there. How can I minimize their stress while their school size is diminished?

This is something many if not all of us with shoaling fish experience. Fish do die of old age and it is not all at once, sometimes years apart. All sorts of issues can affect a fish's lifespan, just as with humans.

You don't say how long you have had these fish. If it has been some time, say a few years, I would just leave them together. If a problem develops, such as the lone remaining tetra starting to terrorize any other fish, then that fish should be removed and probably euthanized. But otherwise, I would leave them alone.

I've had them all for at least a year (bought them in batches) and so far everyone looks fine. My other fish are very robust (snakeskin gourami, pleco, severum) and fend for themselves very well. If I do notice a loner attacking them I'll set up my spare tank for it. Hopefully it won't come to that. Thanks for your help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back