🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I lost one of my Badis.
I had 2, Dario and Dario.

****Long post alert ****

I know Betta's shouldn't be with other fish.
I have an elderly Betta named Mr. Luna in a 6.6g.
I thought he was almost blind since he couldn't see his food, he couldn't maneuver to get sinking pellets any longer, and losing appetites. Also he was pretty inactive, and was very pale. I was worried about him being close to The Big Tank in the Sky.

I never in a million years thought he would go after two tiny Badis. I had built them little huts that they used to go in every now and then. Plenty of stones on the bottom, plants, etc.
I got the 2 Badis for a 3.5g tank. During the first couple days they didn't eat...(at this time I also had a pest snail explosion in a few of my tanks...I looked up feeding problems with Badis and found out about their needs). I wasn't happy I hadn't been told; nonetheless I blame myself. So I went to get frozen bloodworms from LFS, and to give them lots of "pest" snails they said one of the employees could use fot their puffer---not sure what type.

Anyway, they had Dwarf Pea Puffers. So cute. So I get to reasoning it out.
Okay ----
I'll get a Dwarf Puffer for 3.5g for snail problem, and also will eat frozen Bloodworms I must get for Badis.

I'll set up pail/bucket bubbler with foam filter to keep extra "pest" snails in for puffer...(Soon to be ever onward, Niblit)!

What to do with Dario and Dario?
Well, Mr. Luna won't bother them, he's slow and blind...etc...and he and everyone else can get bloodworms.

I was right, at first.
Mr Luna + bloodworms = Superbetta!

I never saw Mr. Luna after those two Badis, but I did observe troubling Badis behavior.

Darkest Male Badis Dario1 begins to lose colour.
Pale one (less dominant male) Dario2 starts colouring up. During this time feeding was a real problem. Dario1 sticks near bottom. Have to feed him with long plant tool.

Dario 2 gets a clue and begins going at the top of the tank for food but seems to reject it. I tried dicing, keeping them long, everything. Munch munch spit it out. All floating to bottom. Have to try to get the ones off the bottom don't want them rotting, etc
...Dario2 also getting all friendly with Mr. Luna, or at least is not afraid.

Dario1 and Dario2 began living at opposite ends of tank. Dario 1 getting pale, Dario2 getting stripes. Mr. Luna pleased with his returning vigor and thanking his lucky stars.

Last time I went by tank I coudlnt find Dario1. Next time I did. :(
He was down near one of the huts.
I think Mr. Luna chased food down there, because he is now Superbetta, remember.

This scenario had transpired over a 2 1/2 month period. Did Dario1 get upset I started feedings Dario2 first because he was weaker of the 2 Badis? Did he get jealous of Dario2 who had become all friendly with Mr. Luna?
Is Mr. Luna, my ♡, my sweet boy a killer?
(I changed my Avatar to a picture of a young Mr. Luna).

I am at a loss. I can manage to keep Luna occupied enough to feed Dario2.
but Dario2 has trouble. I try to float prices because he goes to the top, but they fall too fast. If he gets a long one I am afraid he will choke on it, he seems to have trouble with them on a way that leaves me to think he might.

If he would eat better --not blaming him at all--I guess if I can meet his needs better, I think he and Mr. Luna could get on okay.

He will not eat frozen Daphnia or Hikari Bug Bites. I feel awful he just looks at me frantically at mealtime and I feel helpless.

Here is the whole tank setup
20200108_182919.jpg

20200213_194306.jpg
20200213_194342.jpg
20200202_185512.jpg

The 2 individual fish pictures show their coloration this past week; the top one when Dario2 when he started to lose color and bottom when Dario1 started to lose colour. The partial tank picture is about this same time

The last one is when I first got them.
20200121_134815.jpg

***edited text for clarity***

Last edited:
I lost one of my Badis.
I had 2, Dario and Dario.

****Long post alert ****

I know Betta's shouldn't be with other fish.
I have an elderly Betta named Mr. Luna in a 6.6g.
I thought he was almost blind since he couldn't see his food, he couldn't maneuver to get sinking pellets any longer, and losing appetites. Also he was pretty inactive, and was very pale. I was worried about him being close to The Big Tank in the Sky.

I never in a million years thought he would go after two tiny Badis. I had built them little huts that they used to go in every now and then. Plenty of stones on the bottom, plants, etc.
I got the 2 Badis for a 3.5g tank. During the first couple days they didn't eat...(at this time I also had a pest snail explosion in a few of my tanks...I looked up feeding problems with Badis and found out about their needs). I wasn't happy I hadn't been told; nonetheless I blame myself. So I went to get frozen bloodworms from LFS, and to give them lots of "pest" snails they said one of the employees could use fot their puffer---not sure what type.

Anyway, they had Dwarf Pea Puffers. So cute. So I get to reasoning it out.
Okay ----
I'll get a Dwarf Puffer for 3.5g for snail problem, and also will eat frozen Bloodworms I must get for Badis.

I'll set up pail/bucket bubbler with foam filter to keep extra "pest" snails in for puffer...(Soon to be ever onward, Niblit)!

What to do with Dario and Dario?
Well, Mr. Luna won't bother them, he's slow and blind...etc...and he and everyone else can get bloodworms.

I was right, at first.
Mr Luna + bloodworms = Superbetta!

I never saw Mr. Luna after those two Badis, but I did observe troubling Badis behavior.

Darkest Male Badis Dario1 begins to lose colour.
Pale one (less dominant male) Dario2 starts colouring up. During this time feeding was a real problem. Dario1 sticks near bottom. Have to feed him with long plant tool. Dario 2 gets a clue and begins going at the top of the tank for food but seems to reject it. I tried dicing, keeping them long, everything. Munch munch spit it out. All floating to bottom. Have to try to get the ones off the bottom don't want them rotting, etc...Dario2 also getting all friendly with Mr. Luna, or at least is not afraid.

Dario1 and Dario2 now living at opposite ends of tank. Dario 1 getting pale Dario2 getting stripes. Mr. Luna pleased with his returning vigor and thanking his lucky stars.

Last time I went by tank I coudlnt find Dario1. Next time I did. :(
He was down near one of the huts.
I think Mr. Luna chased food down there, because he is now Superbetta, remember.

This scenario had transpired over a 2 1/2 period. Did Dario1 get upset I started feedings Dario2 first because he was weaker of the 2 Badis. Did he get jealous of Dario2 who had become all friendly with Mr. Luna? Mr. Luna, my ♡, my sweet boy is a killer?
(I changed my Avatar to a picture of a young Mr. Luna).

I am at a loss. I can manage to keep Luna occupied enough to feed Dario2, but he has trouble. I try to float prices because he goes to the top, but they fall too fast. If he gets a long one I am afraid he will choke on it, he seems to have trouble with them on a way that leaves me to think he might.

If he would eat better --not blaming him at all--I guess if I can meet his needs better, I think he and Mr. Luna could get on okay.

He will not eat frozen Daphnia or Hikari Bug Bites. I feel awful she just looks at me frantically at mealtime and I feel helpless.

Here is the whole tank setup
View attachment 98147
View attachment 98148View attachment 98149View attachment 98150
The 2 individual fish pictures show their coloration this past week; the top one when Dario2 when he started to lose color and bottom when Dario1 started to lose colour. The partial tank picture is about this same time

The last one is when I first got them.View attachment 98152
A 3.5 gallon tank seems way too small for all the fish you had

It may be that they are not use to the new tank yet and it may take a few days before they feel comfortable eating. You could try not feed them for a couple of days and then they may have an appetite. Fish do not have to regulate their body temp so they can go for a week or more without eating. Best thing is for you to sit down and relax, have a glass of wine if your over 21. Give them time to adjust.

Oh, you have a very nice tank, I like the anacharis and moneywort, The fish look nice and have good color. ;)

2 1/2 months, maybe they feel intimidated by your betta, that could be stressing them out and the Betta could be stressed by their presence in his territory . Sorry about Dario 1

Thanks. This loss is especially painful because now I still have the ongoing issue of how to feed Dario2 successfully, and how to keep Mr.Luna from gaining weight.
It seems I set myself up for disaster.

I MUST learn from this mistake, that research is imperative! I wouldn't have got Dario1 and 2 had I known about their special dietary needs. But then Mr. Luna wouldn't be doing so well...
This is hard

Don't beat up on yourself, you were trying to do what you thought was best for your fish. Research is the key that is why I am not rushing into tank #4 and still working on tank #3. I didn't know guppies would attack my ghost shrimp when they are molting so I lost several. We all try and learn from our mistakes.

A 3.5 gallon tank seems way too small for all the fish you had
That was a wordy post, and I can imagine confusing.
It was the 2 Scarlet Badis in a 3.5g at first.
Then I put them in a 6.6g that already had Mr.Luna and a few Nerite snails.

The first picture shows that tank.

The empty 3.5g has just Niblet and her dinner.

The snail bubbler bucket is separate.

I know you don't want to but I think you need to consider getting another tank.

I know you don't want to but I think you need to consider getting another tank.
Does that mean more fish?
I don't know if I can!
I've decided with my recent losses,
(I just discovered one of my CPDs missing rhis morning), that I wasn't getting more fish until I work out what is going wrong in my tanks.
I understand what went wrong with my Badis, Dario1
Lesson learned

I understand, also about the Green Neon Tetras.
Lesson learned

Lost a few "neo" shrimp along the way
Too many reasons why,
Lesson learned...stick to Amanos

I just have to sit with where I am fish-wise, unless....

I have an empty cycled 5g, so big question,

Any chance I could put the Dario2, (Scarlet Badis), and Lollypop, my (Glo-Zebra)Danio together with a couple of male guppies in the 5g? I jave really been admiring guppies lately. I would consider going for those as far as getting more fish.

Does that mean more fish?
I don't know if I can!
I've decided with my recent losses,
(I just discovered one of my CPDs missing rhis morning), that I wasn't getting more fish until I work out what is going wrong in my tanks.
I understand what went wrong with my Badis, Dario1
Lesson learned

I understand, also about the Green Neon Tetras.
Lesson learned

Lost a few "neo" shrimp along the way
Too many reasons why,
Lesson learned...stick to Amanos

I just have to sit with where I am fish-wise, unless....

I have an empty cycled 5g, so big question,

Any chance I could put the Dario2, (Scarlet Badis), and Lollypop, my (Glo-Zebra)Danio together with a couple of male guppies in the 5g? I jave really been admiring guppies lately. I would consider going for those as far as getting more fish.
:eek: I meant to separate the Betta and Dario so you can cater to their needs as individuals and reduce their stress. The only other way to do this is to rehome one and I know you wouldn't want to lose one of your beautiful fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back