Scales Going Black

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mezrie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For a while now one my killifishs tail has been turning black. It's doesn't look good but she is fine, swimming fine, eating fine. I've checked tank water and thats fine too. It may be due to stress as the male killi is always very randy and takes it out on the girls. I think i may have to separate them. Anyway is this anything you recognise?

Many Thanks
x

black patches on the body are usually the equivilent of bruising. However it could be natural colouration. What species is it?
Do any of the others have anything like it?

Fin rot is where the fins start to split/fray and wear away. It happens over the course of several days to a week and is caused by bacteria getting into damaged tissue.

Thank you so much for answering. It's my golden wonder panchax so it stands out quite a bit. The male is always frisky though so i'm wondering whether to separate him from the girls for a while. He is very naughty. x

black patches on the body are usually the equivilent of bruising. However it could be natural colouration. What species is it?
Do any of the others have anything like it?

Fin rot is where the fins start to split/fray and wear away. It happens over the course of several days to a week and is caused by bacteria getting into damaged tissue.

It could be damage caused by the male chasing the females. Male gold panchax can be pretty tough on females so maybe try separating them for a couple of weeks and see if she comes good. If it is bruising or damage it should clear up in a couple of weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back