Scafell

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Carp4U

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Doing the 3 peaks challenge in July. Can't decide whether to go via Wasdale or Seathwaite. A couple of people I know who do lots of walking (one of which has just gone to climb Everest for the second time) has suggested Seathwaite, whereas most of the blogs from people who have done the 3 peaks successfully did it from Wasdale Head.

I want to know because I have experience on Ben Nevis and Snowdon, but none on Scafell. I don't want to be getting lost during the 3 peaks so my uncle said he would take me up Wasdale because they both end up in the same place and it's an easier walk. Obviously the route I take with him this Saturday is the one I must take in July.

Has anyone here climbed Scafell from Wasdale? Can you tell me how long it takes? Did you take the route where you went onto both the scafell and scafell pike summits. Has anyone here actually done it from seathwaite as well- what's the difference between them?

Cheers guys :D

Hi guys,

Doing the 3 peaks challenge in July. Can't decide whether to go via Wasdale or Seathwaite. A couple of people I know who do lots of walking (one of which has just gone to climb Everest for the second time) has suggested Seathwaite, whereas most of the blogs from people who have done the 3 peaks successfully did it from Wasdale Head.

I want to know because I have experience on Ben Nevis and Snowdon, but none on Scafell. I don't want to be getting lost during the 3 peaks so my uncle said he would take me up Wasdale because they both end up in the same place and it's an easier walk. Obviously the route I take with him this Saturday is the one I must take in July.

Has anyone here climbed Scafell from Wasdale? Can you tell me how long it takes? Did you take the route where you went onto both the scafell and scafell pike summits. Has anyone here actually done it from seathwaite as well- what's the difference between them?

Hi, I have gone up Scafell via Wasdale ( and had a pint in the Wasdale head after it :drinks: and a swim in the freezing lake the morning after :lol: ) What a place! I couldn't tell you how long it took us, couldnt even guess as we did a few other fell's on the way down including Lingmell. I didn't go on the Pike aswell. My dad did the three peaks a few years ago in 26 hours (including travel time) but he went up a different route altogether.

James.

Hi guys,

Hi, I have gone up Scafell via Wasdale ( and had a pint in the Wasdale head after it :drinks: and a swim in the freezing lake the morning after :lol: ) What a place! I couldn't tell you how long it took us, couldnt even guess as we did a few other fell's on the way down including Lingmell. I didn't go on the Pike aswell. My dad did the three peaks a few years ago in 26 hours (including travel time) but he went up a different route altogether.

James.

Hi, we did it from Wasdale, took us 3 hours up (I could have done it faster but my uncle struggles with his knees). Quite enjoyed it, but hated it compared to Snowdon or Nevis. The paths are so unclear, I can't believe that Scree slopes are almost part of the path, there's no clear path all the way up. We had glorious weather though. We planned to cross onto Scafell but the map suggested we go up via Broad Stand but there were rock climbers going up it so we thought 'f**k that!' and the afternoon was catching up with us anyway. Views were superb at the top. Only downside was the scree slopes (I fell so hard I bent my walking pole) and the car journey. Going to go up the same way except not sure whether to go from Wasdale to Sty Head or Seathwaite to Sty Head. I believe Seathwaite is a better drive and Wasdale is longer driving but quicker walking. 26 hours isn't bad- did he do it alone? I'm hoping to officially complete the challenge and do it in under 24 hours, my fitness should not be a problem but I'm concerned about getting stuck in traffic or getting lost on the mountain as I'll be climbing Scafell at 4am in July. Snowdon and Nevis are easy to navigate though so should be ok.
I ran a 10k yesterday morning in 51 minutes so I'm going to train harder and hopefully I can do a bit of running when I'm climbing the easier Snowdon paths to improve my times.

Hi guys,

James.

Hi, we did it from Wasdale, took us 3 hours up (I could have done it faster but my uncle struggles with his knees). Quite enjoyed it, but hated it compared to Snowdon or Nevis. The paths are so unclear, I can't believe that Scree slopes are almost part of the path, there's no clear path all the way up. We had glorious weather though. We planned to cross onto Scafell but the map suggested we go up via Broad Stand but there were rock climbers going up it so we thought 'f**k that!' and the afternoon was catching up with us anyway. Views were superb at the top. Only downside was the scree slopes (I fell so hard I bent my walking pole) and the car journey. Going to go up the same way except not sure whether to go from Wasdale to Sty Head or Seathwaite to Sty Head. I believe Seathwaite is a better drive and Wasdale is longer driving but quicker walking. 26 hours isn't bad- did he do it alone? I'm hoping to officially complete the challenge and do it in under 24 hours, my fitness should not be a problem but I'm concerned about getting stuck in traffic or getting lost on the mountain as I'll be climbing Scafell at 4am in July. Snowdon and Nevis are easy to navigate though so should be ok.
I ran a 10k yesterday morning in 51 minutes so I'm going to train harder and hopefully I can do a bit of running when I'm climbing the easier Snowdon paths to improve my times.

I think there were about 8 of them altogether, including my dad, older brother, family friends and a former teacher of mine. Some of them were really fit at the time, but they stuck as a unit and went at the slowest man's pace. My dad was a designated driver in one of the two cars, they said it was a great trip.

Ben Nevis, is definately on my list of things to do. I've not ran for a while, I used to run more whilst I was kid, same with cycling. I did the Manchester to Liverpool (40 miles) a few years back, and now I haven't been on my bike for like 2 years :lol: The gym is much more convenient these days huh?!

James.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back