Sand!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nonot8946

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two questions about sand.

1st: I plan to dump all the sand into my tank, then add water via a homemade python, inserting it underneath the sand. I will then vacuum the water out of the tank using the python. I will repeat this a few times. Do you think that this will be effective in combating a sandstorm/rinsing the sand?

2nd: For those with plants and sand, do you add anything else to the sand for your plants? I refuse to pay $20 for a bag of fertilizer on principle alone, but I will listen to any cost-effective suggestions. (I've heard of kitty litter??) How does this look with sand?

Thank you!

Well, im not sure about your first idea, cause i neva did it that way, but it sounds like it could work in principle. Some sand takes along time to clean so maybe a lower bucket or container would be easier on your back. Just a thought though :D

For my planted, sand filled tank i use a liquid plant fertilizer from SeaChem, it works well for me! And i plan too buy some seachem slow release plant fertilizers too. I heard u are supposed to use them in conjunction with each other. :unsure: OOPs :blink: The liquid fertilizer has been well worth it and has lasted for ages!

PS, i aint never heard of cat litter... :dunno: ....anyone else???????

the method you are planing on using for the sand is fine... as long as you don't have any fish in the tank....

i hung a standard hose out the window and used it to siphon water out while the python was pumping in.... made things allot ezer.. i also did this with fish in the tank and still have almost all of those fish to this day... the trick was getting the temp form the tap to the correct temp and constantly adding a SLOW trickle of water conditioner..... this kept the temp stable.. i only had a 2F drop in temp....

EDIT: i also have a plants in my tank.... fluorite helps with growth but is not necessary IMO.... most plants in streams are growing in mud and packed sand so why not have it this way in your tank? also i was told an OK substitute is aquarium gravel.... not as good but gives the roots a place to grow......

but form what every one says, fluorite is worth it... especially if you want lush plant growth...

I used the exact same operation as stated above. Worked like a charm.

For the plants, I poured some gravel in which sunk beneath the sand, that the plants used it to grab onto, and anchor the roots.

Good luck!

I did the same thing as Danny - a layer of gravel underneath. When I have had to pull plants out they are really stuck in there, and give up a real fight.

the cat litter thing

you must use fullers earth that is to say it is 100% pure clay and has no addatives whatsoever.

personally in my 72 gall 62 gall and 30 gall all I have is sand, and my plants grow very well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back