Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Its not catfish need sand- at all. The Corydoras are just happier in the finer the sand the better. What I had was some kind of powdery sand. The Corys loved it and looked like excavators pumping the silt through the gills looking for worms and food. Even Cory cat lovers on the net? Never seem to have the fine sands.

The closest I've found since? Bags of fine white sands at the Dollar Store.

So between play sand, all-purpose sand, and pool filter sand; what are everyone's thoughts?

Pool sand is the whitest I believe. Play sand packs down when wet like at the beach(around here) and can't say about all purpose. Some say sand for sand blasting is best of all. All depends on location I think.

Pool sand is the whitest I believe. Play sand packs down when wet like at the beach(around here) and can't say about all purpose. Some say sand for sand blasting is best of all. All depends on location I think.
I actually did not know that pool filter sand is white. I don't want white sand so that leaves that out. I'm looking for something more natural looking. I'll probably end up getting play sand.
Something about blasting sand. I'd think that would be abrasive. That might not matter for most species that aren't bottom dwellers. Can you have that if you have livestock like corys or loaches? Or is my assumption about the texture of it incorrect?

I actually did not know that pool filter sand is white. I don't want white sand so that leaves that out. I'm looking for something more natural looking. I'll probably end up getting play sand.
Something about blasting sand. I'd think that would be abrasive. That might not matter for most species that aren't bottom dwellers. Can you have that if you have livestock like corys or loaches? Or is my assumption about the texture of it incorrect?

You do not want white sand, correct. And you do not want blasting sand because it is rough, though this would not matter if you were not intending substrate fish. You mention cories, so fish like cories, loaches and dwarf cichlids should not be housed over rough sand. And pool filter sand is more abrasive than play sand, if you buy the Quikrete brand. I went into this with a representative of Quikrete, and he stated that their play sand is the most refined of all their sands and therefore is the least rough/abrasive. He said they realize that kids will get sand in their eyes, mouth, etc, and they refine their play sand to make it as smooth as any sand can be. You should find Quikrete Play Sand at Home Depot and Lowe's outlets, maybe elsewhere too, but in NA these two chains carry it.

I've used Quikrete Play Sand for ten-plus years and my cories including pygmies had no issues I could detect.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back