Sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Any thoughts about sand substrate would be appreciated.
One thing I'm curious about is opinions about the color of sand. I've read that brighter colors like white or unnatural colors are stressful for fish. Any thoughts about the color of sand used as substrate? Outside of personal aesthetic preference. I'm wondering more about function than appearance.

Any thoughts about sand substrate would be appreciated.
One thing I'm curious about is opinions about the color of sand. I've read that brighter colors like white or unnatural colors are stressful for fish. Any thoughts about the color of sand used as substrate? Outside of personal aesthetic preference. I'm wondering more about function than appearance.
Bottom dwellers like catfish (ie: corydoras or plecos) and loaches enjoy sand because t is softer then gravel so they wont get cut up by it like gravel might do.
Cleaning sand is also much easier. Food and debris will lay on the top instead of IN it like gravel would do

Bottom dwellers like catfish (ie: corydoras or plecos) and loaches enjoy sand because t is softer then gravel so they wont get cut up by it like gravel might do.
Cleaning sand is also much easier. Food and debris will lay on the top instead of IN it like gravel would do
That's one of the reasons I'm switching to sand. Also because I want to grow some plants. Sand isn't strictly necessary for that, but it gives you more options.
I've also read that sand has more surface area than gravel so the beneficial bacterial have more places to grow for cycling.

As far as fish preference for colour - I've seen underwater footage in aquarium fish habitats with a lot of different colours. We prefer darker because we like the colours of our fish. But white sand is natural for a lot of them.

And anaerobic pockets. I've heard about them. But I don't think I've seen anyone who ever actually experienced them. Is that really a thing?

And anaerobic pockets. I've heard about them. But I don't think I've seen anyone who ever actually experienced them. Is that really a thing?
It is a thing. If the sand is deep they will form. Thats why you shouldn't vacuum your sand too deep. This especially becomes a problem if you don't vacuum your sand for a long time.

It is a thing. If the sand is deep they will form. Thats why you shouldn't vacuum your sand too deep. This especially becomes a problem if you don't vacuum your sand for a long time.
When you say vacuum sand too deep, can you clarify that please?

For my heavily decorated 10 gal, I have found that it is tricky to use a siphon to clean it. Instead, I use a turkey baster. It takes longer, but it fits my needs.
Also, be careful about knowing what kind of sand you are buying, because a common sand offered in fish stores has aragonite in it, which can harden your water, and you may not want that.

The colour of the substrate does have an effect on the fish, either positive or negative depending. The extent depends upon the species. White sand is absolutely detrimental to most of the fish we maintain because they come from habitats that are dimly lit and have a dark substrate, and a white reflective substrate is highly stressful. The dark substrate such fish require may be dark due to leaves, wood, and little or no light penetration, even if the sand is buff toned. To my knowledge there is no white sand in Amazonia for instance, and this is where many of our fish originate.

The other factor is the overhead tank light. This can cause the lighter-coloured substrate to be even brighter, and this definitely unsettles fish that "expect" dark. The opposite can occur too; Ian Fuller has more than once written of the harm both white and black sands cause for Corydoras catfish. I have had this play out in my own tanks.

The lightest natural sand in Amazonia is the buff colour of the overall body tone of so many Corydoras, which is why from above they blend in and are unseen until they move. As one of many examples, some 12 new species of Corydoras were discovered by the British ichthyologist David Sands during the two decades from 1980 to 2000, each species endemic to specific southerly-flowing tributaries of the upper Rio Negro, and having very similar cryptic (camouflaging) colour patterns. When viewed from above in the habitat, the colour pattern of all these fish cause them to blend in with the twigs and branches that litter the buff-coloured sandy streambeds. The patterns include a buff-coloured body with a black dorsolateral band (that may only be partial on some species) which appears as sand and twigs.

If we care about the well-being of the fish we keep, then we must do what we can to replicate the habitat conditions. This eliminates much stress, which means healthier fish.

There is a reason that the top of the line substrates sold for aquariums are small gravel sized. That's just the best size there is for plant roots. Now,if you can get a large grained sand- that works well also. Neither pack down hard. It's the play sands and pool sands that can be too small grained for plants and I can tell you sand grains harbor less good guy's bacteria than gravels.
Color is just personal. I doubt aquarium fish think of that unless they are fish that are nocturnal. If you have plants and shade from structure also,fish put up with light sands.
Corydoras? They love to filter the substrate..sand that is near silty in texture makes them happy and its fun to watch them take in silt. I've done it for them in the long ago past and wonder why nobody else has in setting up "natural" aquariums.

I will never do sand; I believe gravel is better for fish in general and I don't believe that catfish can only live on sand. If you want water movement through your base then you must use gravel, I think gravel is the best for your plants as the roots find it easy to grow through. The fish poo decomposes in the gravel bed and the plants grow.

Most reactions

Back