Sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hi, how would you recommend to wash the sand? Sorry i know its a stupid question 😂 but shall i use normal tap water? Hot or cold hahaha is there a way to tell the sand is clean?
You don't need to use conditioned water to wash sand.
If you're setting up a tank, you add the hard landscaping, including the substrate, (sand, in this case) and when you add the water, then you add the conditioner.

How long would depend on the sand and source.
You're aiming to effectively wash the sand 'dust' away. When you swill a portion of un-washed sand in a bucket, the water will likely be cloudy.
When the water is no longer cloudy, then that portion of sand is washed.

NOTE that you could add un-washed sand and put up with cloudy water, until it all settles...and know that if you ever mess with the substrate, or plants, in the near future, then that dust may rise again and cloud the water.
If you have a filter running, then the filter will clear much of that dust, but be careful to keep on rinsing the filter media and be aware that coarse sand can damage filter components.

You don't need to use conditioned water to wash sand.
If you're setting up a tank, you add the hard landscaping, including the substrate, (sand, in this case) and when you add the water, then you add the conditioner.

How long would depend on the sand and source.
You're aiming to effectively wash the sand 'dust' away. When you swill a portion of un-washed sand in a bucket, the water will likely be cloudy.
When the water is no longer cloudy, then that portion of sand is washed.

NOTE that you could add un-washed sand and put up with cloudy water, until it all settles...and know that if you ever mess with the substrate, or plants, in the near future, then that dust may rise again and cloud the water.
If you have a filter running, then the filter will clear much of that dust, but be careful to keep on rinsing the filter media and be aware that coarse sand can damage filter components.
Brilliant! Thank you so much

I put a few inches of sand in a bucket, fill it with cold water, swirl it round, let the sand settle then pour off the cloudy water. Repeat until the water is more or less clear. Then do another batch of sand.

Since there are far fewer people in the UK compared to other countries who have swimming pools in their gardens, there are not many places which sell it. Play sand, on the other hand, is easy to find :)
In Holland there are even less private swimmingpools but for some reason PFS is quite available hahaha. The lobby of our hobby I think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back