Sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chloem07

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im planning to have sand in my tropical tank, what type of sand would you recommend? I have a 100L tank, how much sand would i need? 🤷🏼‍♀️ All help appreciated
Thank you x

Quikrete play sand or pool filter sand. They come in 50 pound bags, I would start with one bag. I used two in my 55 gallon tank, which is about 200 liters. My sand is maybe 3 inches thick.

@Chloem07 As you are in the UK, look at Argos play sand. Many members use this and it's a lot cheaper than sand sold in fish shops. It will need washing well as it's quite dusty - but them most substrates need a good wash before use.

Another shout-out for the Argos Play sand...
I have 2/3 of my substrate as sand in my second tank and I'm pleased with how it has worked out. Planting requires some thought, but nothing too insurmountable.
You could check my journal here.

Hi,

Play sand used here - but found some that was pre-washed, which helped on the washing front.

ATB

@Chloem07 As you are in the UK, look at Argos play sand. Many members use this and it's a lot cheaper than sand sold in fish shops. It will need washing well as it's quite dusty - but them most substrates need a good wash before use.
Yeah im in UK, & thank you lots of people saying play sand ima give it a go, thank you x

Agree with the others, play sand or pool filter sand, whichever one suits the fish you are getting. Smooth, fine sand is better for cories and fish that like to bury in the sand. If none of your fish like to bury, doesn't matter.
Do you know where i can get pool filter sand? Im abit skeptical about buying online for my fish tank... just dont like the fact i cant actually see it hahaha, do shops sell it?

Since there are far fewer people in the UK compared to other countries who have swimming pools in their gardens, there are not many places which sell it. Play sand, on the other hand, is easy to find :)

Hi, how would you recommend to wash the sand? Sorry i know its a stupid question 😂 but shall i use normal tap water? Hot or cold hahaha is there a way to tell the sand is clean?

Yes normal tap water is fine if you dechlorinate it.
temp between 21 and 27 is fine. Temp depends on intended fish.
Rinse the sand before putting in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back