Sand turning blue/green

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iā€™ve noticed over the last few weeks the sand in one corner of my tank has started to turn a very bright blue/green colour. It is only in this one specific corner and nowhere else in the tank so Iā€™m wandering what could have caused it. Maybe excessive root tabs?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• C213FFCF-BEFD-4E04-8B81-EF257A547A48.jpeg
    C213FFCF-BEFD-4E04-8B81-EF257A547A48.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 64
  • 535D4339-D74F-4CCA-98D5-141E00753F2D.jpeg
    535D4339-D74F-4CCA-98D5-141E00753F2D.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 82
Is there a reason it would be isolated to one corner and how would I go about treating it?

It sometimes appears in new tanks due to an imbalance in the microscopic organisms in the tank. The Cyanobacteria (bga/ blue green algae) grow faster and can inhibit other things growing.

Reduce the amount of dry food going into the tank.

Increase water movement/ aeration, especially around the bottom and where the bga is growing.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks to try and physically remove it. After a while the tank should settle down and it will disappear.

I agree with @Colin_T but since it appears to be a fine sand substrate I might have a go at removing the affected sand. This does not address the root cause, but does 'surgically' remove offending material. In time, with proper care, a balance should be achieved that prohibits blue/green 'algae'. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back