Sand Substrate and Live Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thought I would show you couple of photos of the creek that runs through our place. The Galaxia in this creek are completely nocturnal, so you never see anything in it during the day. The banks of the creek are covered in Glow worms. It is a fun place to go at night.
Magical! Thank you so much for sharing!:)

Very Lucky. New Zealand is very lucky, when covid is over come over and have a look. We have a creek running through our place with three species of Galaxia, fresh water crays and eels. This is the pond I put in three years ago
What species of Galaxias do you have there?

I believe we have gollumoides and divergen ( dwarf ) and there is one other which I am unsure of. They are all non migratory or seem to be.

Lovely stream :wub: do you get bats there at night? Looks like perfect habitat for them.

Lovely stream :wub: do you get bats there at night? Looks like perfect habitat for them.
No, we are to far north and west for bats. But yes it is perfect for them. The Glowworms are magical at night. we are blessed.

The only glowing insects I've seen are fire flies in the US. We've no glowing bugs here but we've at least 3 bats who hang out in our garden at night. A real family activity to go out at 8pm and watch them flying.
I love the clear nights at the creek, so peaceful the fish come out and the Glowworms look like stars it is truly magical

For anyone interested here's my new tank in mid cycle..couple of issues with the anubias and amazon sword already .

Attachments

• 20200930_075334.jpg
    20200930_075334.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 55
Can't quite see all the plants, but Anubias should not go in the substrate. If you could either glue or tie them to the decor, they will be much happier.

Thanks for the reply mate, yep Java Fern and Anubias are tied to rocks ensuring the rhizomes are out of the substrate. I've been advised may be a nutrients deficiency so I've ordered some liquid ferts

Thanks for the reply mate, yep Java Fern and Anubias are tied to rocks ensuring the rhizomes are out of the substrate. I've been advised may be a nutrients deficiency so I've ordered some liquid ferts
That could be the issue if there are no fish to contribute waste.

Most reactions

trending

Back