Sand-Sifting Goby Species

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Ive decided to get some sort of sand sifting goby to turn my sand over as it doesnt take long for some algea to grow on it. I have about 70kg of LR and a fairly deep sand bed so there will be plenty of pods ect for the goby to get at. Anyway, I need a few suggestions of goby species, or any other reef safe fish species which will sift through the sand and turn it over.
thanks
jtg

Any kind of sleeper goby is a sand sifter. Are you looking for hard core sifting or just slight? I find that certain species sift more voraciously then others.

I agree with Nemo, as usual :p

But be careful what you wish for, they can kick or should I say suck up a huge amount of sand and then they sift it out straight into the middle or top part of your tank so the water becomes a storm of sand :blink:

Why dont you consider a conch instead?

Seffie x

Nemo, I'm looking for a fish that's going to do a good amount of sifting. Which ones do you find do it best? Seffie, I'm not overly keen on conches so I think I'd rather get a fish, plus it will add a bit of lively and active interest to the bottom of the tank

jtg

From the sandsifters I have experience with, gold head sleepers sift the most, but can be annoying sometimes because they don't always put the sand back where it came from. Next would be the diamond goby.

Thanks nemo, I think i'll try and track down a diamond goby then. I like the look of them alot.
thankyou :)
jtg

I am very new to marine so in no way an expert just sharing my experience. I had a similar problem and bought a chalk goby( blue cheek/ six spot sleeper) and he is fantastic. Does a wonderful job of turning the sand but as Seffie said does not always put it back in the right place!! I read lots about this type of goby and all the articles said they starve but my little fella is going strong after 3 months now and will always come out at feeding time and race around the tank. Just a thought.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back