Sand Okay As Substrate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I posted about this in the betta forum specifically about my bettas, but as I'm setting up a 55-gallon that will likely house some form of cichlid (totally undecided yet), I thought I'd ask here too. Is sand okay as a substrate? I have read that it's not wise to use it for fear of the fish ingesting it and becoming impacted or something? But I would imagine it's got to be safe and fine (even preferable) for some fish?

What's the general thought on sand here? Also, am I losing valuable bacteria-colonization space using sand instead of gravel?

Thank you!

Yes sand is fine to use as a substrate and many fishkeepers prefer it to gravel, especially if you keep bottom feeders as sand is a lot more gentle on their barbels.

Its also easier to clean when you get the hang of it because waste sits on top of the sand whereas with gravel it falls down in between.

Andy

Yes sand is fine to use as a substrate and many fishkeepers prefer it to gravel, especially if you keep bottom feeders as sand is a lot more gentle on their barbels.

Its also easier to clean when you get the hang of it because waste sits on top of the sand whereas with gravel it falls down in between.

Andy

really? you would prefer sand over gravel? and its easier to maintain? only if I knew that before I bought tons of gravel form my tank. Do you still use a regular siphon to clean the sand?

sand is absolutely fine :good:

you just use a regular siphon but hold it a inch or so away from the substrate to suck of the poop; it also makes it more visible to suck up the poop.

i have a Undergravel filter in my tank so alot of bacteria is there, but in a regular tank with a non UGF then not alot of bacteria live in the gravel; its all in the sponge :good:

yes, but it is easier to clean if you use just the piping. place it about 1inch above the sand and it should grab up all the bits of crap :)

how do u clean it because i was told by someone in petshop that it is very difficult especially with a syphon as the sand goes up it as well,i prefer the look of sand and especially if it is better for my bottom feeders

you are always going to suck up a bit of sand there is noway to avoid it =/

its just one of them things ^^

argos childs sand, wash it out in a bucket first though to get rid of the ultra fine particals

To find sand go to the Home Despot or Lowes or Menards or whatever DIY store you have nearby and pick up some playground sand.

I am cycling my tank with gravel right now. Once, it is cycled, how should I switch to sand? Or not an option?

sorry for hijacking your thread Winterlily!

move your filter to a bucket of the same tank water, then change the gravel over, ive just done it today lol thats only if your fishless cycling mind...

Argos playsand is awesome, needed very little cleaning, and the waste stays on top of it, yeh it may look a little messy inbetween cleans but at least you know you are getting it out at water changes, thats just my opinion though.

Oh and I only needed one back for my 125L so it cost a whopping £2.50ish :) bargain!

Regards
Mike

Hu! Good to know. I much prefer the sand (both in look, ease of cleaning, and on my male bettas' delicate finnage!). A couple more questions, then:

A guy at the LPS told me not to use sand (they don't even carry it) because if the fish stir it up and it gets sucked into the filter, the filter is damaged/destroyed. Is this true? I don't really trust them and their advice at all (same guy told me I could keep 6 or so Severums in my 55 gallon tank! - yeah right), and I DO trust you guys completely, so? Is the filter thing an issue?

Also, okay, I understand about using playground sand. What about that black sand made specifically for aquariums? (Um... Tahitian Moon Sand it's called) I know it's more expensive, and I certainly wouldn't use it in the 55 gallon because of that, but I have a few 5 1/2 gallons tanks to fill for my male bettas, and the black sand might look nice. Is this not a good choice? I guess with black, I lose the ability to really see the poop though, huh?

What about other sands, like silica sand - no good?

And lastly, what about this thing I keep hearing about, about gases etc getting trapped underneath the sand, and if/when released, will kill the fish? Is it true that you have to stir it up every however many weeks to avoid this? Should I be using an inch or so layer of sand OVER gravel then, or just sand only? What's the benefit of gravel underneath?

sorry for hijacking your thread Winterlily
:lol: No problem! Lots of information contained in that hijack!

Thanks guys!

Hu! Good to know. I much prefer the sand (both in look, ease of cleaning, and on my male bettas' delicate finnage!). A couple more questions, then:

A guy at the LPS told me not to use sand (they don't even carry it) because if the fish stir it up and it gets sucked into the filter, the filter is damaged/destroyed. Is this true? I don't really trust them and their advice at all (same guy told me I could keep 6 or so Severums in my 55 gallon tank! - yeah right), and I DO trust you guys completely, so? Is the filter thing an issue?

Also, okay, I understand about using playground sand. What about that black sand made specifically for aquariums? (Um... Tahitian Moon Sand it's called) I know it's more expensive, and I certainly wouldn't use it in the 55 gallon because of that, but I have a few 5 1/2 gallons tanks to fill for my male bettas, and the black sand might look nice. Is this not a good choice? I guess with black, I lose the ability to really see the poop though, huh?

What about other sands, like silica sand - no good?

And lastly, what about this thing I keep hearing about, about gases etc getting trapped underneath the sand, and if/when released, will kill the fish? Is it true that you have to stir it up every however many weeks to avoid this? Should I be using an inch or so layer of sand OVER gravel then, or just sand only? What's the benefit of gravel underneath?

sorry for hijacking your thread Winterlily
:lol: No problem! Lots of information contained in that hijack!

Thanks guys!

Take a look at this thread it should give the answer to the last question:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=131373

As for the filter as long as you leave an inch minimum between the filter intake and the sand you should be ok. Ive not had any problems with mine at all even when I put the sand in the tank with the filter running, yeh it may pick up some sand but with the normal filter maintenance I dont see it being a problem TBH.

Hope that helps
Mike

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back