Sand issues

Leepen78

Reaction score
Hi all kept fish for years but had a break and recently got back in to the hobby,

hereā€™s my issue
Never really used sand before until this new set up cycled tank with took ages for water to clear I assume due to the sand substrate tanks been running for a while now tests all ok .........added some bottom feeders today x 3 bronze corys and a yo yo loach ...........since they have been sifting through the sand water quality has goon terrible ...........last water change was Wednesday just gone sand was vacuumed filter sponges cleaned and new fine media pad installed again took ages for water to clear once disturbing the sand ? Is this normal when first added bottom feeders ? Is this always an issue with sand substrate? Or is it because itā€™s relative new sand ? Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance Lee

Did you wash the sand thoroughly before putting it in the tank? Sand usually has a fair amount of dust in it which can take a lot of washing to remove.

Yes I did was and the type I brought was pre washed shop advised it didnā€™t need washing but I still have it a good wash ?

If you washed it, there should be much, if any, dust left.

All I can suggest is a layer of filter floss first in the direction of water flow in the filter, and change it every day. Unless someone else has any ideas?

If you washed it, there should be much, if any, dust left.

All I can suggest is a layer of filter floss first in the direction of water flow in the filter, and change it every day. Unless someone else has any ideas?
Hi yes I did that as soon as I noticed it ? Will doubled up with two fine filter pads at the top water in take ..........Iā€™ve noticed the yo yo loach is borrowing in the dragon stone holes which is disturbing clay that must of stayed after soaking and washing when set up so perhaps that is not helping with the water clarity

Most reactions

trending

Back