Sand in 4ft aquarium?? or gravel??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaUK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As most of you may be aware, i'm setting up my new four foot aquarium and will be using an eheim 2217 for filteration. Well in this new setup i would like to use black sand Question is I like my aquariums well planted with real plants and was wondering if these would grow and survive in sand as I have never used it in aquariums before.. The aquarium will be a large community aquarium with 2 x lifeglo bulbs should that be adequate??

TIA
Lawrence

Maybe you could get more coarse sand or mix sand with black gravel?
As for the lighting, the more watts you have the better for plants to photosynthesize.
Sounds like loads of fun, I always liked setting up a new aquarium.

I recently put together a 2 footer with black sand and live plants. I've been using DIY Co2 in this tank for the plants, and they've grown like weeds since I bought them. They seem to thoroughly enjoy the sand, along with my cories.

Honestly, go with sand now. You'll just want to switch to it later, so save yourself the hassle. Trust me, it's not fun switching tanks over. :no: It's a royal pain in the bum!

I can post a picture to show you what mine looks like if that'd help you. It's not heavily planted yet, I'm waiting for the plants to grow in some more so that I can spread them around rather than buy more plants.

Thanks for the responces so far, littlefishie would love to see what your aqaurium looks like with the sand substrate!

Thanx L

Posting picture. :D

15gallon014.jpg

It's a slightly older one, it doesn't show the plants' growth yet and I just added a Hornwort tonight. My camera is being a bum, so once it works again I will show you how it looks once the plants have grown in a bit more. :)

I personally prefer black gravel over anything, makes the fish look really colourful, and plants seem to gorw nicely in it. I am just biased though, because I had terrible time with my plants dying when I had sand, bad aquarium keeping on my part was the culprit :/

I personally prefer black gravel over anything, makes the fish look really colourful, and plants seem to gorw nicely in it. I am just biased though, because I had terrible time with my plants dying when I had sand, bad aquarium keeping on my part was the culprit 

i use sand w/o florite and i have no problems keeping plnats alive... its about the lighting more than anything... im just asumeing your problem was just that....

any way go with sand... its alot ezer to clean and more fish require/prefer sand than ones who prefer gravel....

EDIT: get black sand it looks great and hides the mulm!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back