Sand For Fish Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a new tank coming soon and I want to use sand as a substrate. I am currently using sand in my tank, I used half play sand and half aquarium sand as using just aquarium sand would be sooooo expensive.
I used Arogs play sand: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650574/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CToys+and+games%7C14417629/Trail/searchtext%3ESAND.htm It seems to be ok.
I was wondering if it would be ok in the new tank which is 5ft, to use just play sand. I have found one in B&Q http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9411956&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=sand&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1294830354273&isSearch=true - they have 2 but not sure of the difference

Not sure where else I could get sand from. Are there any other types of sand that are cheaper than aquarium sand? Just I am going to need quite a lot of it. Out the 2 above which do you think would be better?

Any help is great thanks!

ive got just argos sand in my 4ft tank, aquarium sand is ridiculously priced. took me about a bag and a half to do mine.

in the user review below the customer is unhappy that the sand is browner than shown on the bag. something to consider. there was a thread a few days ago in the 'old wolrd cichlid' bit about somebody wanting to use sand, and a few pictures were put up as comparison, including my tank. might be worth checing out, but i think somebody else has mentioned the B&Q sand is darker. i wouldnt worry about the price - 5 quid for the B&Q 25kg bag, or 6 quid for 30kg of argos sand.

Having used both, Argos is definately my favourite.
It's lighter, softer and has a richer sandy colour. Although remember, due to it been so soft and fine, it can easily compact and cause anaerobic bacteria.

I found B&Q sand to be darker and slightly more gritty looking.

Hi
Do you have a link on anaerobic bacteria in relation to sand, I ound a general wikipedia but it doesn't help much with the whole sand portion of it all. I do like the argos sand for it being light, I will try to find that thread and have a read. I do remember reading when I first ooked at sand, about not enough airation (spelling?) in sand whereas in gravel the water can get through it more. Can't seem to find it now though! I read its good to run your fingers through to displace the sand often is that right?

i have no water problems with my tank with its sand in. 'turning/agitating' the sand as neccessity is an old wives tale. it doesnt need to be done. any bubbles of 'bad' gas that form simply float to the top and burst into the air, exactly like an airstone's bubbles do. my rusty plec has rescaped the sand himself to his liking, and he often uncovers a few gas pockets.

i dont know abotu bacteria, but all your fishes poo will sit on top of your sand until you hoover it up, it gets filtered up, or magically evaporates, as seems to happen in my tank every now and then. its easy to clean and maintain because of this, but i guess you already know this. a couple of days ago i removed gravel from my tank that i put at one end incase some of my fish preferred it. none of them did, and when i started to disturb the gravel and remove it, the amount of crap and filth under it was horrific. i used to vac it every week or 2, and it was only a small area, but after seeing what is under 'clean' gravel, i wont ever be putting it in my tanks again.

Haven't tried B&Q sand but I've used Argos sand in 2 tanks for over a year now with no problems. Unlike my gravel tanks, I just change water weeklyand don't vaccum my sand substrate every time, only once a month. I never had any issues with bad toxic gasses. A good population of MTS snails seems to be all that's needed to turn the sand over every day and remove uneatern food etc. They even finish off cucumber and other veg I feed the fish!

If you want light, bright sand then the Argos stuff is fine. I have it in one of my tanks.

I now prefer the look of black/dark sand but never seen this cheap anywhere.

Would never go back to gravel.

i have no water problems with my tank with its sand in. 'turning/agitating' the sand as neccessity is an old wives tale. it doesnt need to be done. any bubbles of 'bad' gas that form simply float to the top and burst into the air, exactly like an airstone's bubbles do. my rusty plec has rescaped the sand himself to his liking, and he often uncovers a few gas pockets.

I wish this was the case for me, I found after planting new plants in the sand there was initial die back on the routes and that was where huge pockets would form. Also specifically under and around any bog wood that was placed on the sand the sand would go black and underneath that black bit would be pockets of gas, fortunately I never had any deaths and once it got a bit too much I decided to empty the tank of the sand. Even after a few months they would still form, I had Corys and Snails who would supposedly shift the sand around but the only shave the top 1mm around but don't actually dig down.

On a non planted tank I would say it's much easier to manage if you have that problem as you don't end up sucking up all the roots and shifting the plants each time you come for a water change.

I wish this was the case for me, I found after planting new plants in the sand there was initial die back on the routes and that was where huge pockets would form. Also specifically under and around any bog wood that was placed on the sand the sand would go black and underneath that black bit would be pockets of gas, fortunately I never had any deaths and once it got a bit too much I decided to empty the tank of the sand. Even after a few months they would still form, I had Corys and Snails who would supposedly shift the sand around but the only shave the top 1mm around but don't actually dig down.

On a non planted tank I would say it's much easier to manage if you have that problem as you don't end up sucking up all the roots and shifting the plants each time you come for a water change.

Tbh I have sort of the same thing, I noticed some places the sand looked dark and where my plants are planted the sand seems to move a lot and they end up floating in my tank. There is a thick layer so I know there is enough. This is why I was questioning which sand to use but if everyone is happy with the Argos one which I have then hopefully it is ok! What are the black parts though does anyone know? It worries me a little?

Tbh I have sort of the same thing, I noticed some places the sand looked dark and where my plants are planted the sand seems to move a lot and they end up floating in my tank. There is a thick layer so I know there is enough. This is why I was questioning which sand to use but if everyone is happy with the Argos one which I have then hopefully it is ok! What are the black parts though does anyone know? It worries me a little?

Eeeeeerrrr... :X :X :X :X I can't remember a sulphide perhaps Hydrogen Sulphide , I really can't remember. What I initially did was just use a small siphon hose and prod it into the black sand start the siphon it would suck up the black sand and possibly any pockets of gas. However the black sand was unpredictable on where it would be, It was never visible unless I disturbed teh top 1/2cm of the sand. After a while I just went through the routine of sucking up a lot of the top layer of sand and putting new sand down on top. In a bid to hope no dirt got pushed under, it was worked reasonably well but got a bit annoying.

I'm sure it must be easier to manage.

with the plants floating in your tank, you may find this is down to fish. ive got a lot of fish that like to nibble at the bottom of plants, they seem to find plenty to eat that has collected around the roots/stems. ive had to resort to only having rooted plants (no stem/cuttings of plants), as my big syno only has to swim past a plant with no roots to dislodge it.

i used Argos play sand but
early learning center do a
good one as well but make
sure you wash it well i find the
b&q one a bit rough and ready
sharp sand is good as well
NOT! the yellow builder sand

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back