Sam's Fishless Cycle

On Saturday Sam, remind me and I'll give you my spare pH test kit. They are useful during cycling because nitrate is acidic and we have soft water so very low buffering capacity, so its useful to keep an eye and make sure your pH doesn't crash and stall the cycle. I think its unlikely that that's happened this quickly, but on the other hand, if is a very small tank so it shouldn't be ruled out. A pH test will confirm or deny :) if it is that, then some bicarb added to the water will help buffer until the cycle is complete :good:

Your cycle seems to be coming along very nicely! Expect to be in it for at least 6 weeks though but I think yours will finish before than. ;)

Thanks guys, just to let you all know that we did a ph test that came out at 7.5.

Here's an update on my cycle

Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0

Ammonia: 0.5

For a whole week Ive had no change in any of my readings. Any suggestions please??? Should I be re dosing now or should I wait until my ammonia reaches 0? Thanks guys :unsure:

Hey I am cycling just like you at the moment. My ammonia went down really fast at the start but then slowed down loads like yours. Keep going and it will be fine! 2 weeks is normal for a cycle.

Thanks for your post Lucasluke :) its nice to know there's someone else with similar results. Hopefully we'll see some more changes this week.

Any suggestions on the behaviour of my cycle ladies and gents? (Please see beginning of the thread for cycle details) Many thanks.

It's very odd that it's just stopped.

If I were you I'd do a complete water change, and then redose the ammonia and see what it does. If nothing happens I'll give you some more media (a different sponge this time and some ceramics).

Thanks hun, it is a bit odd ain't it. Thought something wasn't right with the ph being high but no sign of any decreases in ammonia or increases in nitrate :( never mind i shall do the change and start again. Took t to pets at home today he loved all the fish :)

Reet, made a fresh start today. Emptied the tank and gave it a good clean ready to re-dose the ammonia. I also noticed that the paint on my Nemo ornament had started to bubble... :huh:
Then i noticed that my fiter wasnt pumping anything!! How stupid do I feel, it appears that the mature media I got was too dense for the filter :blink:
Super Caz to the rescue!! She really is a super friend!! She brought me some ceramics from her filter to put into mine.
So here goes the second attempt at a fishless cycle.

Pre-ammonia dosage
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
PH: 7.5

Post-ammonia dosage
Ammonia: 4.0ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm

Ammonia: 4.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ph: 7.0

Bit of movement today with my new cycle, :)

Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Fingers crossed hun, you'd have laughed at me earlier trying to persuade Simon to let me have a bigger tank. I will persevere and get my own way :) x

Haha, it'll be fine. If you're anything like me you'll acquire them at random. In fact I may be able to pass you one on soon ;) just keep it shhhh lol :lol:

Oooo :) that sounds fab hun, thank you. Yes Sam shhh :)

Todays (29.08.11)parameters are

Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrite: 0 but a slightly different colour light blue to yesterdays result.
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

And my pump is still flowing ;) making a conscious effort to check it is working every day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back